M700 - Linux (Ubuntu Flavour)

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by nemesis_haven, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Anyone had fun with it yet? My reason for choosing Ubuntu is Bigpond has set up a Ubuntu Mirror which is part of the unmetered data limits (Don't we Aussies just love that :|).

I'm running 64 Bit Ubuntu with 4 gigs Ram and it's scarily fast.

Wacom was enabled by
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    there is 3 lines commented out with a message above saying uncomment if you're using a Tablet PC.

Code:
    # Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    #        InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
    #        InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
    #        InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
    Logout and it'll reload the X Server and it's done.

There's a Toshiba package for use of the Function keys.. But I've only just literally installed it myself 20 mins ago. Was hoping someone else had done something similar, perhaps with the old M400's?

2. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Confirmed to be working, Sound, Graphics (Got Compiz working! YEY!) Beleive it or not.. Fingerprint Reader, SD Card reader (unconfirmed), Wifi, Ethernet, Stylus.. What else? Function Keys.. Trying to find some accelerometer mods but give me time :D

3. GeekStarPilot

GeekStarPilot Scribbler - Standard Member

@Harrowed,

I was wondering what I might do with the 200GB drive I have ordered with my M700. I might follow in your footsteps and play with Ubuntu.

4. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

This sounds fun. Too bad I know jack **** about Linux or Ubuntu xD

blah..I want to replace the hdd in the rig I get but i dont wanna kill the warranty. ugh.

5. saenz

saenz Pen Pal - Newbie

Well Harrowed, I need to ask how you got everything working, say the stylus. I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to get it to work. I alread edit xorg.conf and still nothing. Please let me know. Thanks

6. ClearWater

ClearWater Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you serious? Don't let that get your moral compass spinning. Just replace the HDD, do what you want, and if you ever have an issue with your system to where you need to get warranty service from Toshiba, just switch the HDD's back and deal with the communist bastards.

Have fun and keep the original HDD. :cool:

They have no business telling you a HDD replacement would break your warranty. It's nonsense based on nonsense. We can only hope this one was just lost in translation. Regardless, practice some civil disobedience and be in control of your equipment.

7. oblique63

oblique63 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I just got my m700 and Im about to try and install linux on it (either OpenSuse, Mandriva or Ubuntu) as soon as I re-partition the hard drive to make room for it, but I was wondering, did u get the tablet features to work on the LiveCD, or after you installed it? because so far, Ive tried like 5 different live cd's where I downloaded the appropriate drivers and/or edited the xorg.conf file, and I haven't gotten any of the tablet features to work on any of them... Then again, im not really much of a linux expert so thats no shock...

but yea, you think it maybe has to do with the fact that Im trying to enable it on the livecd?...

8. ctodd111

ctodd111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Last week I did a system restore on my M400, but before that I had Ubuntu 7.10 installed on a 30 gb partition. I never tried to get the fingerprint reader or sd card reader working, but I believe everything else did work. I like Ubuntu (I still have it dual-booting with XP on my Dell), but I have too many educational/scientific Windows-only programs to run, so I gave it up and restored my system to out-of-box state running Vista Biz. I tried Wine (it worked well for some programs) and I even had an XP virtual machine set up (with 4 gb of ram that ran well, too) but ultimately it was just too much of a hassle. There are a number of programs out there for tablet use. My favorite one was Xournal. There is also an on-screen keyboard and text-entry program (I don't remember their names). The straw that broke the camel's back, though, was getting it to work properly with the LCD projector in my classroom. It may have been just as much the projector's fault as Ubuntu, but I couldn't get it to reliably project. When you are standing in front of 20 high school juniors, you don't want to wonder each time you connect the computer whether or not it's going to project. :D

9. glibc

glibc Pen Pal - Newbie

I can read here that some of you did test Toshiba M700 Tablet with linux.
    Did anyone install any linux distro like Fedora 8, Ubuntu 7.10, Opensuze or Debian...etc... on the Toshiba Portégé M700 Tablet PC?
    Can you please let us know if you were able to function the touchscreen and the stylus pen ? Out of the box?:confused:
    What about wireless, bluetooth,Finger print...etc?:confused:

Thanks a bunch in advance!:D

10. oblique63

oblique63 Pen Pal - Newbie

hey, I was able to install all of those distros just fine on my m700, the only things I havent gotten to work are the touchscreen, screen rotation and the fingerprint reader (there's also something wrong with the audio on mines, but there's supposedly a fix for this soundcard somehow, I just havent gotten any of the ones Ive seen to work...). as far as ready out of the box, I'd say Fedora does the best job of this, just because it has a lot of the wacom drivers pre-installed (and compiz works out-of-the-box, without any modification), but its really not a big deal to do this yourself on ubuntu... I dont really remember how I got opensuse to work, so I'll have to get back to you on that one. The only real thing you have to do to get the stylus to work on all of them (including eraser-tip, and right-click recognition), is use this modefied xorg.conf file:

Code:
    # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    	InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
    	InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Synaptics"
    	Driver      "synaptics"
    	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    	Option	    "LeftEdge" "120"
    	Option	    "RightEdge" "830"
    	Option	    "TopEdge" "120"
    	Option	    "BottomEdge" "650"
    	Option	    "FingerLow" "14"
    	Option	    "FingerHigh" "15"
    	Option	    "MaxTapMove" "110"
    	Option	    "VertScrollDelta" "20"
    	Option	    "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
    	Option	    "MinSpeed" "0.3"
    	Option	    "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver "wacom"
    	Identifier  "cursor"
    	Option  "Device"  "/dev/ttyS0"
    	Option  "Type"  "cursor"
    	Option  "ForceDevice"  "ISDV4"
    	Option  "Mode"  "absolute"
    	Option  "Speed"  "3.0"
    	Option  "Threshold"  "2"
    	Option  "Button2"  "3"
    	Option  "Button1"  "1"
    	Option  "Tilt"  "on"
    	#Option  "DebugLevel"  "10"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Driver "wacom"
            Identifier  "stylus"
            Option  "Type"  "stylus"
            Option  "Threshold"  "2"
    	Option  "Button2"  "3"
    	Option  "Button1"  "1"
            Option  "Tilt"  "on"
    	Option  "TiltInvert"  "on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Driver "wacom"
            Identifier  "eraser"
            Option  "Type"  "eraser"
            Option  "Threshold"  "2"
    	Option  "Button1"  "2"
            Option  "Tilt"  "on"
            #Option  "TiltInvert"  "on"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "intel"
    	Option	    "RandRRotation" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

I ended up sticking with ubuntu, just because I didnt really like dealing with .rpm's in suse, and the dependency issue's in Fedora's add/remove app, but I also probably couldnt get some things to work properly just because I got the 64-bit version, so that may be why I havent gotten the finger-print reader to work, because there's an app thats supposed to enable you to use it (thinkfinger). and Im not sure about the bluetooth, it says its working, but I dont really know how to test it out...

When the new version of Ubuntu comes out (8.04 - Hardy Heron) in april, I might post up a tutoral on here on how to get (hopefully) everything working, and have it be user-friendly so that non-linux users can follow it too incase they feel like trying it out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.