M7 vs. R25 vs M400 vs. T4210 vs. R1F

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Videlicet, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Videlicet

Videlicet Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone help me decide which tablet to buy for college? I will be an engineering student. I want the tablet to be light enough to carry around campus (it is a 13-minute walk, uphill, to the engineering building) with a battery capacity long enough to last at least a few hours (I have a couple of classes scheduled right after each other). I want something with enough power to run Vista when it comes out, but I won't be gaming or editing videos or anything like that (probably the only video would be from my Slingbox). I definitely want a fingerprint scanner. Cost is not really a concern, but I still want it to be reasonable.

Considering all of this, I have done a little research and have found that these pretty much fit my requirements. Does anyone have any preferences or advice? I really appreciate your feedback! These forums are great!

2. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

What type of engineering?

3. Videlicet

Videlicet Pen Pal - Newbie

I will major in mechanical engineering and minor in business.

I plan to do a lot of study abroad (most probably in Asia). I also plan to conduct research in nanotechnology, and I will have to present my research at national or international conventions. These factors probably determine which tablet to choose as well.

If anyone has had any experience (bad or good) with these tablets, or has any other information or preferences, please reply! Let's see which tablet rules them all!

4. butanamine

In that case make sure you get something with dedicated graphics. I think, if I remember correctly, the R25 is alright like that. Also, the M7 should set you up alright. I don't know about the R1F. Neither the M400 nor T4210 have discrete graphics.

When you start doing FEA & CAD you'll appreciate the better graphics card for sure. Also get lots of RAM. A single 1GB chip now in case you wanna upgrade later should keep you set.

Fingerprint scanner? I dont know which ones have it besides M400 & T4210.

The fact is, you'll be able to get buy without the better graphics, but it will likely get frustrating for you...

... edit: oh yeah, I've never used a tablet, but I'm a final year mech eng student
    ... edit2: maybe someone who's speaking from personal experience can actually tell you how well the integrated graphics cards work with CAD and FEA

5. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

don't get a single stick of ram then you don't have dual channel.

6. butanamine

oh. Ooops! Thx. That's pretty annoying though. Only two slots, right?

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah im pretty sure it only has two slots.

8. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

For the time being, I will wait to see the R1F when it hits some retailers because it seems that it would be better for you than the M400 or the T4210 which are known to have various problems. I do not think that you want the R25 (although it is cheap) because it is so heavy. None of these machines have a dedicated GPU but the Intel 945 on the Asus supposedly (according to Intel) meets all Vista requirements. You can easily check the R25 as it can be found in Best Buy or other places but it is much harder to lay your hands on the M400 or T4210. On the other hand, by the end of September several Asus retailers may have samples of the R1F.

9. Murph

Murph Pen Pal - Newbie

I am an engineer and I'm able to work on smaller Pro/E (3D CAD) assembies on my T4210 running 2gig of ram without any trouble. This should be fine for any CAD you'd do in school. FEA is very processor intensive and you need a lot of power to solve large problems in a timely manner, so most any tablets\lapops are out for professional FEA use. Although problems you'd work for class would probably be fairly simple and any of the new tablets could handle it.

I'm also a part time student and the T4210 is small enough carry around alot, but still just large enough for efficient note taking. If you went with the T4210 I would get the extra modular battery for sure. It sucks to run out of juice before the end of class!!

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The r25 does not have discrete graphics
    the only tablets that have discrete graphics right now are the m4/m7 the gateway m275/m285 (cx2XX models), the m200, and the acer c2xx/c3xx models
    The viable choices off course are
    the m7 (option of NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 110M w/ 128mb ram)
    the m285 (option of ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 w/ 64MB ram)
    and the acer c210 (NVIDIA 7300 w/ 256mb ram) as these are core duo & core 2 duo machines.

In terms of weight its a toss up between the the m7 @ 5.5lbs (14'' wxga 1440x 900 w/ brightness & wide angle for better viewing) and the acer c210 is @ about 4.5 to 5.7 lbs (depending on configuration) with a 12'' xga 1024x768 screen. The gateway approaches the limits of 7lbs and is by far the heaviest and also has a 14'' wxga (1280x768).

the m7 & acer use wacom tablet technology which means you'll have pressure sensitivity in applications that accept it, whereas you won't find that w/ the gateway.

In terms of your engineering programs a visit to the companies website, shows that you only need discrete graphics when you're using 3d. for 2d integrated graphics is fine.

Considering that as a student this is going to be an investment, and you are going to have to do 3d graphing at some point, i'd suggest going w/ a tablet that has discrete graphics. Tying that in with what you mentioned about weight i'd say its a toss up btw the m7 w/ more screen real estate or the acer c210 which has more graphics but a slightly smaller screen.

Off course w/ the acer you also have to take into consideration how you feel about the non conventional hinge, but there don't seem to be many complaints from the acer users camp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.