M7 vs. M400 vs. TC4400

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by QuantumXL, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Wolf

Dark_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Everyone!
    I recently decided to buy myself a tablet pc, now however I am in quite a pickle as to which to choose. My search through the wicked ways of the web led me to this site, which gave me some of the first decent information on the whole bloody thing.

The contestants so far:

Wait... no... let me tell you all a bit about what I'm going to use it for first.
    I''ll mainly be taking notes and doing some math. I need to be able to run programs like MatLab (with mable support), Mathcad, photoshop and similar stuff, so I need a bit of power from that CPU.
    I draw a bit, so it would be nice if it could be used for that as well, though I hardly expect it to outperform my Wacom Intous 3.
    Graphics are not that much of an issue, since my stationary machine should be able to handle this quite well without any outside aid. It would however be nice to run Vista with alle it's niftyness, but you can't have everything.
    On of my greatest concerns is the batterytime, it -must- be able to survive 2 hours of notetaking and 4 would be the best.

The Toshiba Tecra M7-115:
    This one has the slowest CPU of them all, but it actually has a graphics card which obviously is a bonus. I'm wondering if the screen is too big for it to be good for notes though.....

The Toshiba Portegé M400-105:
    This is NOT the version with an XGA screen, but rather the 1400 x 1050 version, which probably makes this the most likely candidate for the notes. The complete lack of anything even resembling a graphics card is ofcourse a minus, and it doesn't have quite as much juice as the TC4400...

The HP TC4400:
    JUICE! We're talking the core duo 2 here, easily outperforming the two others (and probably my Athlon X2 4200 as well). The graphics are not much better than the M400, and the resolution is quite low, but I have no idea if that will be a problem or not. Also it seems neigh impossible to get any battery lifetime info on this baby.

The unknown:
    There might be a fourth, completely unknown contestant that I had no idea would suit my needs. I wouldn't know, since I (as I just specified) had no idea it would suit my needs.

So... any advice? If this is in any way a help I'm studying physics (Why would that help you ask? Well, one of these things might have "wave/particle duality protection" or something....).

Ohh, and.... glad to be here! :)

Also, all of these cost around 2000$/1000£, so if any of you happen to know a cheap european store..... ;) (Why not american you ask? Well by the time it's been sent over the big sea and gotten through the hands of Evil Customs Officers (tm) any savings would be lost).

2. jackamck

jackamck Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just bought myself an M7 from a UK website that were the cheapest on the web (according to froogle and pricerunner anyway) - came to just over £1180 inc. postage - check it here. Can't say anything about aftersales/customer care as yet as I ordered it a few days ago but all has gone smoothly so far. I found some cheap memory as well (1Gb RAM for £60 inc postage) from ebid and have ordered that as well and will install it myself. The M7 is quite a bit cheaper than the M400 in the UK (at least £170) no idea why - I suppose smaller and lighter now equals more expensive.
    I can't speak about the TC4400 though - I think it's quite cheap but as you say no real graphics card and 12" 1024x768 screen.
    The only other one (in the UK at the moment) is the Fujitsu T4210 which is basically identical in spec to the M400 but a bit lighter and a bit cheaper.
    I went for the M7 in the end for the bigger, better screen and better graphics, thinking the 2300E 1.66Ghz processor would be enough for me.
    I'm pretty sure all of these are Vista Premium ready - there is a thread on this site somewhere where you can check, and some people have got RC1 going on their tablets already.
    As for the physics, until Schrodinger sets up a tablet pc company, I dont think wave/particle duality protection or a neutrino shield is on the horizon any time soon...
    Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You mention that the TC4400 is Core 2 Duo. Not to my knowledge, rather it is just Core Duo.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

Another one to consider would be the newly launched acer c210, not sure about availability yet however. Its a 12'' XGA, sporting core 2 duo processors & the nvidia 7300 w/ 256mb of ram.

It also has up to a 9 cell battery & a weight of about 5.73 lbs

5. Dark_Wolf

The c210 looks like a very sweet deal indeed, only problem is that it's not availeble in Europe, at least not for the time being....
    Alas all Fujitsu-Siemens seem to be overpriced around here (that would be Denmark), so it's about 300$ more than any of the other.

The TC4400 comes with both core duo 2 or the regular core duo, and due to some odd twist it's far cheaper to buy it with a core duo 2 (it has 20gigs less harddrive, but it costs 500$ less than the normal core duo model. I can get a lot of harddrive for $500).

A closer look on the M7 revelealed it being a bit short on battery. Looked sweet though, but unless you can get a better (doesn't it come standard with a 9 cell already?) I guess it's out. Well, could hardly expect an nvidia graphics card and a 14" screen to use the same power as a 12" and an onboard.

So.... I guess it's down to the HP and the M400.
    If the TC4400 has a battery time anything like the TC4200 that would deffinetly be a plus, but it's a piece of info I can't seem to find.... Still, I can't really see why it would be using that much more power than the TC4200, and the battery is a tiny bit larger as well...

All in all I guess it comes down to one thing:
    Will the relatively low resolution of the HP end up being annoying? Or is the difference between 1400x1050 and 1024x768 so small that the HP ends up being the winner anyway? Seeing as I haven't really ever used a tabletpc (for an extended amount of time that is) I wouldn't know....

Thanks for being so helpful all :)

This will give you an idea about what's actually availeble around here. A kr is about 12£ or 6$. It's in danish, but it should be pretty straightforward anyways.
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listproducts.asp?ID=48&Parent=1&Sort=&Gallery=&Producent=0&Rating=0&Max=&Soegeord=&Direction33645=2&Sorted33645=&Direction34367=2&Sorted34367=&Check4=108490&Submit.x=12&Submit.y=13&Equal33646=&True402=&Trueval402=197999&Direction11=2&Sorted11=&Direction15=2&Sorted15=&Direction32862=2&Sorted32862=&Direction56=2&Sorted56=&Equal100=&Direction34062=2&Sorted34062=&Direction34063=2&Sorted34063=&Direction611=2&Sorted611=&Direction150=2&Sorted150=&True6342=&Trueval6342=209389&Direction157=0&Sorted157=&Equal38=&True6286=&Trueval6286=42484&True10028=&Trueval10028=96147

EDIT: Right... so after trawling the forum for a bit, I actually found the battery lifetime on the TC4400, and it appears to be about the same as the M400

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jackamck

jackamck Pen Pal - Newbie

Had a look into battery life myself just now, and comparing the BatteryEaterPro Times given by this site, the M400 gets 92 mins where the M7 gets 93 mins and they both say real life times are around 3 hours. Can't find data about the TC4400 but the similarity between these two suprised me.

7. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the difference between 1400x1050 and 1024x768 screen resolution is pretty huge. The first Tablet I had thought about purchasing was the Acer c314 but because it was only 1024x768, I went to something else. I have pretty good eyesight, though. Especially on a 12" screen, 1400x1050 can be pretty taxing on the eyes, but the screen real estate you get with it is well worth it, in my opinion.

8. Dark_Wolf

Well, ended up ordering the TC4400... If it bothers me I have 14 days to return it in after I receive it, so.... *shrugs* Still not sure if it was the right choice though. I didn't see the last post before I had ordered it, but ohh well. Guess that 'sucker for bleeding edge technology' side of me won in the end. Hopefully it'll do its job well enough.

I'll let you all know how it turns out once I get it (and perhaps post a decent review...or at least a review).

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i think that if you are constantly viewing reports or having to edit articles then a lower resolution (e.g. 1024x768) would be much better as it's easier on the eyes. Although a much higher resolution is nice to have, it's not necessarily the best in terms of office and school productivity.

of course, you can always set the resolution to a lower one, if you've something like a Toshiba, right?

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's really all a matter of personal taste, some like large screens with low resolutions whilst others like small screens with high resolutions.
    Both are totally the opposite to what you would imagine them to be used for but if the user is happy then that's all that counts.

I admit it would be nice to have a little extra screen real estate occasionally but no way could I work with it for an extended period of time ~ as such for me, the need above 1024x768 on a 12" is negligible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.