M7 as compared to M4 for games

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Wilco, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Wilco

Wilco Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any of you who have an M7 tried out games on it? how does it fare? I'm in the UK and they've just discontinued the M4 (Just as I decided to buy 1 FFS!). I'm wondering whether is worth running around trying to find 1 or if I should wait for the M7 (as the M4 gets a higher score in 3DMark05).

I'm rather annoyed, I spent about a month wishing the M7 would come out in the UK. then I decide the M4 is okay and I'd get that, and now I have to wait for the M7!!! (seeing the backlog for the US it could be a while).

2. jritter

jritter Pen Pal - Newbie

really quick cause i am going to post more about this later.. but oblivion ran with near low settings for about 15-20fps... Guildwars and WOW both ran @30+fps with almost maxed settings. Haven't loaded up HL2 or CS:S yet but will let you know...I have screen shots with frame rates i'll be posting in a bit.
    these were on normal power settings.. i haven't changed it to max performance. on the same settings i scored 1505 on 3dmark05.. not spectacular but doable.
    m7 stats are in my sig.

3. Wilco

Wilco Pen Pal - Newbie

bah I've just looked and the only M7 listed so far is a 1.66Ghz part and 512Mb RAM :/ Might have to go find an M4, unless toshiba are going to bring out the better versions later.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It really looks as the though the M7 will "allow" better gaming than the Intel integrated solution, but it will just not cut it for high-end gaming engines like Doom 3, Quake 4, etc.

5. BrianFL426

BrianFL426 Pen Pal - Newbie

6. NomaD

NomaD Pen Pal - Newbie

I was amazed when I saw that Counter-Strike: Source got 40-70 FPS on medium settings on my M4. the extra 512 stick made a difference.

7. W3bbo

W3bbo Pen Pal - Newbie

The Quadro NVS100M in the Tecra M7 is a slightly modified GeForce Go 7300, which scores lower than the GeForce Go 6600 in the M4.

The GeForce Go 6600 is capable of 3 billion pixels/sec Fill Rate, has 11.2GBps memory bandwidth, 128-bit wide memory interface, and can render 300 million vertices a second.

The GeForce Go 7300, however, has a 1.4 billion pixels/sec Fill Rate, 5.6GBps bandwidth, 64-bit wide interface, and renders 260 million vertices/second

No contest, really :) The only thing going for the 7300 is Shader Model 3.0 support

8. Wilco

Wilco Pen Pal - Newbie

NVidia's website says the Go 6 series has Shader model 3.0 support. I know the desktop variants have because it was touted as better than the X8-- series because they only had 2.5 or something.

Unfortunately the appeared to have discontinued the M4 in the UK so the arguement may be moot, and they have only listed the M7 with a 1.66 Ghz Core Duo

9. Cith

Cith Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I can tell, the Tecra M4 has the nVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TE 64M with dedicated 64MB DDR SDRAM, not the 6600. The 6200 has the following stats:

Memory Interface: 64-bit plus TurboCache
    Memory Bandwidth (GBps): 4.8 GBps plus TurboCache
    Fill Rate (pixels/sec.): 1.2 billion
    Vertices/Second: 225 million
    RAMDACs: 400 MHz

10. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Cith, a 6600 refresh of the M4 came out later.