M400 w/ dual core in the UK

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by everythingblogcast, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clotheyes

Clotheyes Pen Pal - Newbie

I've also had this problem with the supplier that I was trying to get one through. No information whatsoever. I finally got one by calling Micro Anvika and going to Tottenham Court Road to pick it up. This was last Friday and I'm very happy with it now. They had a few available.

Cheers,

cloth.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any news as to received stock yet?
    I'm still unsure whether or not to go for the M400 (although members here have been helping me in the decision) as such any additional feedback no matter how trivial is welcome.

As to UK stock levels, Savastore.com see here are quoting only one due in two to five days.... Not very promising on the numbers game, especially from a retailer as big as Savastore.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. ajbm

ajbm Pen Pal - Newbie

Its arrived today, together with the extended life battery. Loaded all the software on etc. First impressions are that it is really fast. 2D graphics are fine, wireframe views in 3D Studio Max seem ok - bit slow on shaded viewports though. Screen is nice and contrasty - might need to up the font size after prolonged use. No fan noise to speak of even when pushing both processors at 100% during rendering for 10 mins.

:) :)

4. ajbm

ajbm Pen Pal - Newbie

Almost a week now - fan still ok. Getting slight lockups every now and again in IE6 - seems to unlock by just clicking on another window. Turned out that the extended life battery was the wrong one so I'm waiting on a return number and replacement. Battery Life seems to be around the 3hr mark so far - but I've mainly used it attached to the mains. Still haven't had time to check out all the utilities yet.
    On the usability front - extremely minor gripes - the fan is right where I like to put my left hand when its in laptop mode on my lap, and the DVD drive bay open button is a bit too easy to hit accidentally when I'm shifting position. The keyboard and touchpad are fine and I haven't really had much problem adjusting to the position of the delete key etc.
    Mostly used it for web-browsing so far with a bit of 3d Studio Max thrown in (mainly setting up the UI and scripts). Screen size isn't a problem so far - but I'm going to test out IE7 over the coming weeks since I think the tabs could be a bit of a life saver at this size.

5. P8RSON

ajbm,
    May I ask.... When you ordered from Gultronics, did you have any problems with the order (when it eventually became available)?
    Was delivery fine?
    I have noted that Savastore.com are listing these for near identical in price available in 2-5 days.

As to your comments on battery and it's life.....
    The 'extended' battery you have which is wrong, is this the fault of Gultronics and are you referring to the battery that fits in the DVD drive bay?

As to your concerns of size and web browsing...
    I have a Fujitsu SIemens P7010 Laptop which only has a 10.5" size screen.
    I use Firefox with tabbed browsing and can use the browser quite happily with ten tabbed windows (i.e. I can read the headings of the ten tabs).

6. ajbm

ajbm Pen Pal - Newbie

The order took a long time to come through - although I think this was down to Toshiba rather than Gultronics. Once it arrived it came straight to our office within 24hrs.

I'm still trying to resolve the battery issue. I think that it might be because I ordered so early that it wasn't up on the Toshiba site so Gultronics probably assumed that the standard Portege battery would work. This is the wedge extended-life battery rather than the drive bay one (supposedly gives a couple of hours extra - or another DVD on a long flight).

I was thinking about installing IE7 beta, but I tried it on the machine at work and I started to get lockups (work machine is a dual xeon workstation). I think for now I will just wait for the final release rather than installing more software (I'm still trying to get my head around all the add-ons that are on the machine as a 1st-time tablet user).

My impressions still stand though -its a lovely little machine and it renders really fast. The only real downside is the 3D graphics capability which would have been nice, but which in reality I don't use enough to notice.

7. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

So all for the long time not posting here. Busy as hell assignments left, right and centre. Anyway back to the important news, It arrived on Friday. Its class, really good pc. Good software, have not tryed to run IE 7 beta 2 yet, this is because I an doing a course and IE7 does not show some of the links about 40% missing.

Over all great pc.

Time waited over all 4 months. Preordered.
    The reason why its taking so long is to do with the EU, with making PC greener ie. less natural resources used. On Toshiba is having problems getting parts that comply with this.

Is you want any questions answered about this tablet pc ask, and I will do my best to answer them for you.

8. P8RSON

Just the one.....
    DO you use an additional battery and if so which did you go for... Slice or the other that attaches at the bottom.

I really need this Tablet to give me a MAXIMUM on portability..

I've emailed companies on what they consider to be the best option...
    Not one has replied, which is a shame as it's really cut down on companies who I considered an option to order with.

9. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. P8RSON

Thanks Kurt.
    Appreciate the efforts you went into replying....

I have noticed this type of battery 'add-on' before...
    Unfortunately at nearly 1kg in weight and not integral with the tablet it would make using the tablet awkward when out and about i.e. standing in the middle of a field taking readings.

What I'm looking for is either the battery that slides into the modular bay of the DVD Drive or clips onto the bottom.

Unfortunately trying to obtain which is the better option or indeed could you use both at the same time and does the one that clips to the bottom replace the original battery....

My present laptop, an Fujitsu Siemens P7010 has two batteries (one in the DVD Drive and the main battery at the bottom). The combination of these two give me just over 10hrs mobile use.
    I'm trying to achieve the same here, it's just how best to is what's confusing at the moment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.