M400 vs Tecra M4

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by calvinnn, Mar 3, 2006.

1. dower

dower Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been itching for a tablet pc, and now that the m400 is about ot make it's debute, I'm torn. The m400 is smaller, lighter, and has the Core Duo processors, but the Tecra M4 has a bigger screen (14.1" vs 12"), but has the same resolution as the m400... But the video card on the m400 is an intel 950, not the Nvidia 6600. Pricing things out on their site, the difference between the 2 models would be about $400-500. This takes into account the 2ghz Centrino M vs the 2ghz Core Duo. How do people feel about the differences between the two?

BTW, I found an intersesting article on Anandtech that does a real world CPU performance comparison:

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=2663&p=7

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think getting the 2GHz CPU in either is a waste of money. The M400 is more portable the M4 is more power. What do you need?

3. benb

benb Pen Pal - Newbie

It all depends on what you plan on using it for. For example, to me I go for mid-high performance (not top) for a cpu because I do a lot more CPU intensive work on machines than many do. So for me, I would go with a 2 ghz. But for run of the mill use, it would be an utter waste.

That said, I also feel like the middle sweet spot for speed can also future proof things that much more, for things like Vista. Especially if the gpu is not the best and may need a little more oomph from the cpu.

\bb

4. dower

dower Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, the 2ghz processor is more... But I'm replacing a work laptop which is already 2ghz. I'm quite a heavy user of Photoshop and 3D Studio Max, so the GPU is of some importance, but the future proofing is important to me also, since the replacement is coming out of my pocket. My current laptop is a Dell Precision M70, which is quite nice, but my employer is giving me a hard time about some aspects of my utilization, so I'm looking for a replacement. I like the idea of a tablet, since I won't need to lug around my Wacom tablet and find space to work with all the extra hardware around me. I also like the form factor of the m400, since it is smaller. I'd be the perfect laptop for me, if they'd squeeze in an Nvidia 6800 :)

I guess the best thing that could happen is if they upgraded the Tecra m4 to have a Core Duo processor...

5. benb

benb Pen Pal - Newbie

Sadly I have been told there is zero chance the current M4 will be upgraded. It is an entirely new chassis and board. What I have been told regarding the Tecra is they will not have a new one until at least late 06 and more likely 07. It will be renamed Tecra M500 or something to get rid of the Tecra confusion.

Also have been told zero chance on discrete graphics on the m400 until later this year at the earliest and even then unlikely.

\bb

6. drzeller

drzeller Pen Pal - Newbie

I read on one of the Microsoft employee blogs that MS is standardizing on the M400 - so Vista should not be a problem, and support should be pretty strong. If I find the link, I'll put it up. It did say they were going with the lower res screen, though.

D.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

drzeller could you share the link to that blog w/ the rest of us. thanx

8. Brian

What do you mean standardizing on the M400? And Vista definitely won't be a problem, it's the GUI settings that would be in question.

9. drzeller

drzeller Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't find the blog I was referring to above. I am thinking it may have been in the forums at tabletpcbuzz - which is down today due to a harddrive failure. Whare I meant by standardize was that I had read that the M400 will be the machine that MS employees get when they get tablets. I wish I could find the info to lend this a little more weight!

D.

10. Brian

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that. MSFT is so big and the needs are so diverse, I can't see them forcing anyone who wants a tablet to get the M400. Maybe it's more of a preferred unit sort of thing because it's the only core duo right now.