M400 vs. M7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by QuantumXL, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

Well i have been looking at certain Tablets for a while now (I posted a while back) but now im between these 2. I am satisfied with the service that they have, so i was wondering which one is better. I like the M7 since it does have a dedicated Video card. But the M400 has some good reviews. Discuss

2. risknc

risknc Pen Pal - Newbie

erm, well, there are a few big differences between the two tablets
    1. the m400 is alot lighter than the m7
    2. the m7 has a bigger screen (i think its the biggest in a tablet atm) and its widescreen
    3. the m7 is set up sort of as a low end desktop replacement laptop and the m400 is set up like a lightweight tablet pc ( i think you can get the m400 w/o the optical drive ect)
    and the dedicated graphics on the m7 will definately help if you are looking for something for raytracing, autocad or games. the m7 is also capable of 4 gigs of ram (though you have to buy ultra expensive 2gig sticks)
    its hard to compare them because theyre designed for different audiences. it seems like the m7 is more for the person who just wants one comupter for work, and play, so they dont even really have a need for a desktop, whereas the m400 is made more for office work, or business trips, and you go back to your desktop when not on the go.

I have neither, but ive been looking into buying an m7 for a while now and that just my 2 cents

3. risknc

risknc Pen Pal - Newbie

oh, and im sure eventually the m7 will have some good reviews, just no one has had theirs shipped quite yet, come back wednesday and i think a few people are getting theirs then, so you can check for reviews sometime this week

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really these points nail the issue. With the M7 your carrying a lot more weight and power at the cost of battery life. Meanwhile the M400 may not be a gaming supercomputer, but it is light, has good battery life and reasonably portable.

5. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Based on the first user reports with the R25 (~4 hours with standard battery) compared to many more user reports with the M400 (~3.5 hours with standard and everything turned off / disabled), I'm not sure that the battery life of the M7 will be much different.

Unless, of course, we're expecting the Nvidia graphics to drain power way faster than Intel GMA? Is there good reason to expect this?

6. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

ok ok ok. I compared everything, held and played around with some tablets, and it seems that the 6 lbs (Yikes) M7 came out on top. The M400 just didnt suit my style. Didnt like the capabilty (Although it does have a lot) of it. The 400 seemed to be highly priced too : ( so that didnt fit me either. The M7 has alot of flexibility. Gaming, my style. Also school work, also hot. (SYKE) lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.