m400 v t4210

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jtweety10, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtweety10

jtweety10 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I know this has been a hot topic with people on both sides of the fence, but I was hoping you all could help me decide. As background, I used a toshiba m200 loaned from my school for about one year and after I had to return it, decided that I wanted to get a tablet of my own. I opted to go for a convertible model because this will be my main computer while at college. I use the tablet to take notes during class and do problem sets, and I use the notebook to type notes (for my liberal arts classes) and other keyboard-intensive applications. Plus, I get some good discounts that expire soon, so I figured this would be a good time to do away with my old and heavy Dell laptop and move up to a tablet. I am looking at pretty similar configurations for M400 and T4210, both with
    1024 MB RAM (512x2)
    60 GB HDD 5400 RPM
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Toshiba M400
    12.1" SXGA+
    Duo 1.83 GHz
    3 yr warranty
    Price: $1894.38 (non-configurable because discount only comes with this configuration)

Fujitsu T4210
    12.1" XGA+ indoor
    Duo 2.00 GHz
    1 yr warranty
    Price: $1928.04

Since the Toshiba comes with SXGA+ (which I admit was pretty sweet on the M200 though I am just fine with the 1024x768 resolution on my Dell right now), I am basically wondering if the Fujitsu really is that much superior to the Toshiba in other regards. Part of the problem is that I have heard so many great things about Fujitsu, but have never owned one of their models myself. As far as the warranty goes, it is not a big issue - I have only used the warranty on my Dell once (to replace faulty RAM) and never had to use it with the school M200. The problems I have heard mentioned in these forums (namely Fujitsu heat, Toshiba fan and bloatware) do not bother me. I went to Fry's and did not really notice the heat from the Fujitsu, and if the M400 fan and bloatware are like the M200's, I do not mind controlling the fan myself (I have to monitor the heat and fan on my Dell right now as it is) and doing a one-time removal of unnecessary utilities.

One worry I have is I do not know how the Fujitsu screen handles fluorescent lights. I know some tablet models have tons of glare unless you angle them just right, but most of the talk on the Fujitsu display has been about indoor vs. indoor/outdoor.

Finally, do you know if it is worth it to get 2 GB RAM? I know the performance increase is less that moving from 512 to 1 GB but wondered if 1 GB would be enough when Vista comes out.

Thanks!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a tough job trying to decide but easy for the person giving an opinion.
    As such any recommendations must be taken at face value.

I myself have owned several Fujitsu's over the years.
    Indeed my current crop is a P7010, a P1510 and a T4210.

I have worked with Toshiba's, some I liked an some not so the case but what I did find different between the two were the Fujitsu's were built excellently and if I needed to call Customer Services/Tech Supp it was easy peasy straighforward.
    The Toshiba's on the other hand suffered build quality issues and Customer Services/Tech Supp was none existant.

Without offending any Toshiba users (as the machines they have work well, otherwise they wouldn't be buying Toshiba's) but I simply could not go back to another Tosh, just on the care afterwards being an issue.

3. compman723

compman723 Pen Pal - Newbie

As for Vista I am running build 5742 on the Fujitsu t4210 and I have got most everything to run very smoothly including AERO. I wasn't sure if 2 gb would be a huge spped difference between what I use to have at 1 gb but it did. The reason I did this was becasue I noticed a good amount of my 1 gb stick was being used especially since i dedicated 224 to video. Once I picked up another 1 gb stick from Best Buy for trial purposes the laptop with vista took off and I for sure fell in love with my new toy. I highly reccomend it for vista and now my ram gets a score of 4.5 out of 5 which I guess is probably pretty good.

4. jtweety10

jtweety10 Pen Pal - Newbie

So t4210 it is. (That's great news on being able to run AERO with t4210.)

A question on specs then:
    Is it worth it to get a 2 GHz processor, or would I be better off with a 1.83 GHz processor and spending the extra for more RAM?

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Depending on what you use the tablet for, visually you will find little difference between the 1.83 and the 2 models.. again, dependant upon it's usage.

That aside, I find it is better to have a clock speed of 1.83 and additional RAM.
    The added RAM will give you a big speed boost by far.

And I can tell you...... Photoshop simply loves the 1.83 with 2GB RAM :)

6. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

the t4210 is quite good with glare. I have a 400 watt full spectrum light here, with it shining from 18" away directly on the screen, the screen is still quite bright and readable. I actually thought they accidently gave me the indoor/outdoor screen. the screen resolution does limit some smaller writing, you do run out of detail. also, writing on the edges of the screen doesn't work well at all, the pen tracking is poor.

7. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

The m400 has firewire and the t4210 doesn't, even though the older models used to.
    The t4210 has no rubber foot on the battery so you can take the battery out without your computer losing balance. Seem like a trivial matter but to me it's the decisive factor that would make me buy fujitsu over toshiba, all else being pretty much equal. Though i hate the fact that they dropped the firewire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.