M400 upgrading memory question?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by nfwolfpryde, Apr 27, 2006.

1. dpeters8445

dpeters8445 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered a 1 gig stick of memory from Crucial 667 speed. My M400 came with 2 sticks of 256 at 533 speed.

My question is, Is it ok to just pull 1 of the 256 sticks out and replace it with the 1 gig stick.

I don't know if it's ok to mix a 533 speed 256 stick with a 667 speed 1 gig stick.

Thanks, Doug

2. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, you CAN do that, but what'll happen is because
    A: They're Different Sizes - They won't be as efficient
    and the big one
    B: Because they're different speeds, your 1gig stick will clock down to match the slower stick.

3. dpeters8445

dpeters8445 Pen Pal - Newbie

So, would it be better to just get rid of both 256 sticks and just use the 1 gig 667 stick?

Thanks, Doug

4. nfwolfpryde

I would say it'd depend on what you're doing. If you're doing nothing but word processing and just want to multi-task effectively with IE and other apps, I'd say, probably not. Use the 256mb stick & the 1gig stick. The reason is because the m400 uses 128mb of your RAM for video memory, so then you'd have more than 1gig of usable system memory. But if I were you, I'd invest in another 1gig stick. RAM is going to be in short supply this year I hear, and it could get really expensive really quickly. It's a good deal. Plus, 533 isn't too slow in the first place.

5. nfwolfpryde

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015