M400-s4034 Bios - V2.10

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by wynand32, Dec 2, 2006.

1. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm definitely on the bleeding edge here, apparently, with my M400-S4034. Looking at the Toshiba site, he most recently posted official BIOS is V1.80, on 11/28. However, when I run the installation, I'm told that I'm running V2.10.

I'm having some issues (apparently poor HD performance, and periodic hesitations that seem to be related), and I can't wait until someone else has the same model and can comment on whether theirs is acting the same...

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would download and run HDTUNE: http://www.hdtune.com/

Compare your drive's performance with that of the benchmarks/tests in this site's Tablet PC reviews. Match up the specs of your drive and see how it measures up.

Keep in mind that Toshiba loads their tablets with preinstalled bloatware which may very well be the culprit in the questionable performance.

3. wynand32

Yes, thanks, I've run that, and compared to a review of an M400 on this site my results are very curious. Don't know how to paste an image here, but essentially my final results are similar (e.g., average transfer rate), but there are very regular, periodic dips in performance down to 3.7MB/sec or so.

Using some other tests, e.g., Sisoft Sandra and HD Tach, my results are much lower than expected, around half. I've tried turning off everything I can think of that might be impacting disk performance (antivirus, Windows Desktop Search, etc.), but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

This is a strange one. If anyone else wants to download and run Sandra and/or HD Tach and run on their M400, then post the results, that would be much appreciated. I'll do a search, but I don't remember seeing any HDD benchmarks other than HD Tune.

Thanks again for the response!

4. wynand32

Update: It's the application "s24evmon.exe", which I believe is related to the Intel wireless drivers, that's causing the dips. Turning that off, I get HD Tune results more in line with what I've seen elsewhere. After upgrading to the newest drivers off of the Intel site, the issue is (mostly) resolved.

The other benchmarks still seem slow, but until I see other M400's with higher scores I'll have to assume that perhaps hard drive performance just isn't a real strength of this system.

Wonder if it's related to the weird RAID subsystem...