M400 price???

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by BenHur41, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diagoro

diagoro Pen Pal - Newbie

I've posted a few thoughts on the lack of a dedicated gpu....but also have one tremendous misgiving about the M400....

The price???

Anyone try creating a custom model? I did, with a price tag of about $3200!!!

And that's without a graphic card! it seems that the upgrade prices are extremely high. I can't access the 'customize' page at the moment (server error on Toshiba's part), but am assuming that the same brand of upgrades were lower for the M4..

Is the difference worth it??????

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think so, $3200 for that machine is not worth the investment.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I too was disappointed with the price of the M400 in regards to what you get. I was under the impression that you'd have a selection of 7200 RPM hard drives...but you don't....just the 5400 RPM. And that is just one of the options I was disappointed with. I know everyone is bummed about the graphics.....but luckily I'm not a gamer....

Anyway....I've been wonderin' about the Fujitsu T4020D. I know some tablets like the Toshiba R10 have non upgradeable hard drives. Does anyone know if I can upgrade the Hard drive in a Fujitsu? And if I can....what type of 7200 Harddrive should I look at getting?

Thanks!

4. diagoro

diagoro Pen Pal - Newbie

The hard drive was one of the nice points. I believe the 100G drive was 7400!

5. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry,I meant that they only offered one 7200 hard drive....I believe you can buy a 100G Hitachi for $250 or so but Toshiba was charging $300...The M200 gave you the option of a 60G 7200 RPM hard drive $150......and that is frankly more than enough for me. The only thing I really have that takes up space are my music files.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

I think the price is overstated as well, its the first time that toshiba's site has a customizable option starting at a price higher than the preconfigured.

One of the things i can't understand however is how much more the machine costs for the additional options. I know that tablets employ somewhat of a price premium, mostly for the digitizer & OS i'd assume (as we already know the duo chips cost the same to manufacture as the previous model centrino's), but when i really thought it was crazy was when i saw the price of toshiba's new m5 machine. Now i know its not a tablet, but the m5 is starting @ $1800 with a 100gb hd, dvd burner, 1.83ghz duo, discrete nvidia card @ 128mb, 512mb ram (1 stick)...why am i paying a $600+ premium for a machine w/o a dedicated graphics card.
    I'm honestly sold on the tablet technology but i'm not impressed with Toshiba & their pricing of the m400.
    I'm hoping as other have said that its some kind of error on their part, but i don't really think so.

7. Kalakala

Kalakala Pen Pal - Newbie

Drtigerlilly - can you provide a link to where you found the info on that M5? I think it wold be of great interest....

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

9. Kalakala

Kalakala Pen Pal - Newbie

D'oh! I had assumed that the M4 replacement would be designated "M5" - obviously not!

M6?

Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

10. spybld

spybld Pen Pal - Newbie

problem with that fujitsu is that there is no s-video! Otherwise that is the perfect tablet (at least by the info on the net)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.