M4 vs. M400 - which one to buy?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Corrosion, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everybody

I have decided that I want to buy my first Tablet PC and I just can't decide between the two models M4 and M400.

I would need the (Tablet) PC mainly for my studies, internet via WLAN and doing homework/presentations/take notes in the train and at home everyday, to watch a film from time to time and maybe listen to a bit of music (through headphones) and sometimes play a game (like Red Alert 2 or other, not too much hardware consuming games). Basically I just need something for the next few years which offers a little bit of multimedia. And I intend installing additional 512 RAM immediately and I will usually work with an external mouse. The difference of the price doesn't matter, since I can get both products for nearly the same price.

I heard some good things and some bad things about both models and therefore I have a few questions.

Since I am rather tall and have big hands, would you still recommend a 12'1 Screen to take notes? And since we are speaking of the M400, is it true that the fans and keyboard-typing are so incredibly loud (since I use the PC for studies and a lot of time in public places, it should be more or less quiet so I do not disturb others).

Is it true on the other hand that the M4 heats up enourmously when in use or is that just when you squeeze the max power out of it? I don't think the weight would be really bothering me, but I need a long battery life (I wouldn't mind exchanging the DVD with the second battery). Does anybody know how long I can use the M4 with the second battery installed?

With all these things said could you recommend me which product I should buy? (Thx for reading everything untill here :D )

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to say that I would go with the M400 as you will be carrying the device with you daily. Lugging around the M4 could get old quickly. In regards to the fan noise, you can use the Toshiba power managment software included to reduce this when you are working in quiet places.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

May I ask why just stick with the Tosh.
    Have you thought of the other tablets available?

4. Corrosion

My problem is that I live in Switzerland are here the Tablet PCs are only little known up to know. And untill now I could only check out an Acer Tablet (sry, forgot the model, but it's most likely different from the U.S. anyway) which was more expensive and did not support the ability to write with the pen.

Fujitsu-Siemens on the other hand I had my last PC from, and I only had problems with it (and the incompetent customer support).

HP truely has a long battery life, but my friend has a Tablet and has sent it back to repairs three times in just 4 months.

Toshiba on the other hand I trust blindly, my last two laptops were Toshibas and I never had problems with them. And in Switzerland they offer the best performances for cheaper prices than the competition.

I know I might sound almost racist against some brands, don't be offended guys :D

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not a problem Corrision, we all take to /developers/makers/makes/models that we learn to trust.

For me it was an actual opposite situation.
    I used to own 2 x Toshibas and had nothing but problems with the hardware and as to the customer support, well simply to say it was an absolute nightmare would be letting Toshiba off very lightly.

On the other hand I have now owned something like 7 x Fujitsu's over the past few years and in all that time not one has given me cause to even flicker a hint of grief.
    Further, in calling FSC Support which I do regularily for my sins of looking after another forum held by Fujitsu users, I have always found them to be resonsive, curtious, prompt and quick to sort out any problems for the users.

Having said I have not had an issue with any of my FS devices is actually wrong....
    I have a FS Pocket Loox 720 that developed a wifi problem not long after I had purchased it.
    I called tech supp who quickly diagnosed the problem as a faulty chip and was asked to get the device packaged up and ready for collection by corrier.

To my suprise the following day a corrier called with a brand new replacement.
    I had not even sent my defective one back.... Now that's what I call service :)

6. Corrosion

Well congratulations on an outstanding Customer support then...

Well anyway I just went to a hardware shop (which once again doesn't show tablets) and checked the different screen and keyboards sizes. I know it might sound strange but due to the fact that I am 6'6 ft tall the keyboard on every 12'1 laptop I tested was too small for me to be able to type normally. However the weight of a 4 or 5lb notebook seems like heaven on the other hand even 6lb seems ok for me to transport. Therefore I will have to focus on an M4 or M7. Do you think that I could still use an M4 in two or three years due to Windows Vista or should I already invest into the future with an M7?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.