M4 - My First Tablet Experience

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by poetdante, Mar 8, 2006.

1. alks

alks Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

I thought I'd share some of my first experiences with a tablet to help those out who are thinking about a tablet! So, I got my M4 on monday and now it's been about 48 hours with it. So what do i think?

The first thing I did when I got the machine was put on a screen protector (I used a strong engineering one). It's a brilliant design which prevents air bubbles (by some magic or something!)...However, it was super frustrating to get as much dirt out from between the screen and the screen protector as possible. In the end, there's still a few pieces of dirt (which annoy me), but I used up an entire can of air while fighting this arduous battle!

My immediate impression of the machine itself was "ooh pretty!" and "OMG, the screen swivels" (I totally geeked out the first time i popped the machine into slate mode and wrote on it!). On of the weirdest things to me was the whole idea of resting your whole hand on the screen...I've been trained so much not to push on screens and here we are poking and proding at this lovely LCD!

Thoughts about the M4:
    - It's a brilliantly awesome tablet pc
    - It's actually bigger than expected (which isn't totally a pro)
    - The machine gets HOT at times...

I haven't really run it through it's paces, I've just finished cleaning out the bloatware and installing all the appropriate software. Today, I took it to school and tried out GB2006 in one of my classes. It worked fantasticly. However, at one point, GB2006 flashed and all my notes disappeared. Luckily, a quick close and re-open of the program brought them back. I have no clue what happened.

Throughout the day, I've alternated between slate and notebook. Both have their own little ups and downs. I found myself often using my pen, even when i was in convertible mode. I'd use it like a mouse because it'd be faster (and more fun) than using the touch pad.

Inking is awesome. It is like nothing else. I don't know if I could switch back to not using it ever. It is obscenely useful and just plain ol' cool!

Those are my initial impressions. If you want more details, let me know. Oh, and here's my question: I received this without the super silver ring to pull of nibs...do you know where I can get one?

Ciao folks,
    alks

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you buy this M4 new? The silver ring is in one end of the little white box the pen came in.

3. alks

alks Pen Pal - Newbie

no, It was slightly used. Got it off of e-bay

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

m4 should serve you well