M4 Horror

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Metaformer, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metaformer

Metaformer Pen Pal - Newbie

To my horror I just noticed 2 cracks developing at the corner of the rectangular cut out just above the hindge. The plastic is cracking already and my M4 is a top of the line custom configured unit that's only 1 month old.

I've babied this unit since day 1 and can't believe this is happening.

Also flakes of dirt are starting tto appear underneath the screen glass. So I can't get rid of these annoying dirt specks.

I am really disappointed. Toshiba has to fix this cause I paid top dollar for this machine and it should not be falling apart already.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the first issue of this kind we've seen posted here. I'd definitely be sending it back for repair. Hopefully this is an exception rather than the new rule.

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree. toshibas rarely have any troubles.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Meta I feel your pain. Be sure to take an assertive stance with Toshiba on this. You sound like me when it comes to "babying" your machine. That would basically piss me off. Keep us posted on the kind of response and service you receive.

Barry

5. Metaformer

I just went to my dad's R15 to look at the same place where my M4 cracks are and I see a hairline crack on the R15 too at the right corner of that rectangular cut out next to the square tabs that hide the screws on the front bezel. I think the plastics engineers designed that corner with a sharp edge radius which makes it prone to fractures.

6. antony.upward

antony.upward Pen Pal - Newbie

I have exactly the same problem....though I didn't get horified :-( :)

Crack appeared on the left side of the hinge first (about 6 weeks after getting the M4) then a second crack appeared on the right side. The left crack (10 weeks now) is almost to the edge of the screen...the right crack is just past the cover to the screws of the front bezel.

I reported the first crack to my Toshiba dealer (by email so I have it time and dated) as soon as it happened...they said you have to talk to Toshiba...which I've not done yet.

I agree with MetaFormer that the plastic is problematic. ...this is a manufacturing problem...I have been oh so careful turning the screen from tablet to laptop mode and opening / closing it given all the warnings Toshiba give you.

MetaFormer...pls let me know how you get on with Toshiba so we can win this together.

Thanks

7. Metaformer

I haven't called them yet but will take pics soon. Local service tech said plastics aren't covered by warranty but to call Customer Relations to report it.

It is a design flaw as it appears on 2 similar machines the R15 and the M4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.