M200 Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by SimsHsia, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently got a refurbished M200. Everything worked fine, but there was a scratchy static sound when turning the volume dial on the front. Now I cannot get any sound. I have reinstalled the sound driver. The volume isn't muted or turned down in windows. The static sound has also stopped. Neither the speaker or headphone jack work.

I am quite puzzled. I had the volume dial all the way down when it quit working. My guess is that the dial isn't working. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Tablets rock! I should have got one a long time ago.

2. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

Derek,

This may be a stupid question, since you mentioned you had already checked to see if the volume is muted, but have you looked at the advance sound properties to see if any components are muted that may be affecting the overall volume?

As well, you also mentioned that you had reinstalled the drivers; how about trying to uninstall the sound drivers and reverting back to an older version (which you could probably find on Toshiba's website).

The scratching noise you heard may have been the microphone interfering with the overall sound. (I once got bored in a lecture hall at university and started playing around with the microphone on my laptop - accidentally turned it up all the way and produced the most god awful shrieking noise. Had about 600 people staring at me :D)

Not sure if this will help or if you've already tried them, but worth a shot.

Jesse

3. DerekS

DerekS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply, Jesse. I tried those, but it still didn't work. I removed the bottom panel of the tablet. There was some dust on the dial that I cleaned off. Also, I used the very scientific procedere of poking the dial a few times. :D Works fine now. Very odd.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Derek,

Glad you are now "posting" and "reading". I have a lot of musical gear - guitars and amps, etc. that use volume and tone knobs (potentiometers) that constantly acummulate dust. When that happens I get static and noise. Radio Shack has some great spray for these to keep 'em clean. If the problem returns, the spray will take care of it.

5. shabari

shabari Pen Pal - Newbie

how to get sound drivers from internet . plz send the link to install the video and sound drivers of tosshiba m200 (satellite) 1.73 Ghz. of intel core 2 duo.

6. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You should be able to go to Toshiba's website and download the drivers from there.

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi shabari,

Ah, yes, the infamous Toshiba website, it is quite difficult to navigate through to find your downloads for those unfamiliar with it. :)

First, the Toshiba M200 is not a Satellite line, it's a Portege line, so that is probably the reason why you couldn't find drivers on the Toshiba website under "Satellite". Second, the M200 does not have an Intel Core 2 Duo, but an older Intel Pentium M processor. Unless, of course, if you're talking about the M400, then that's a different story. ;)

And now for your drivers, which I've managed to find:

nVidia GeForce Go 5200 Driver for Portege M200
    Toshiba Display Rotation Utility for Portege M200
    Toshiba Audio Driver for Portege M200
    ---
    For the full listing of all 135 downloads for the Toshiba Portege M200, the download list is available here.