M200 Portege

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Barry J. Doyle, Apr 5, 2005.

1. dlp

dlp Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I am strongly considering a refurbished portege m200(1200$) for my main computer.
    I will being doing autocad 3d, photoshop, and other basic computing. I travel alot so i like small yet i need a resolution that will support my external 19" monitor. Decent speed is also important. the m200 has 32mb ddr geforce 5200.

On paper the portege seems to be the only notebook available with a 12" screen at sxga, open gl dedicated graphics and 7200rpm hard drive.

1.)I am concerned about the amount of refurbished machines avaialble on the internet. Has there been a problem with this model?

2.)Can someone please advise me if this is a good choice for my needs?

3.)Is there another notebook or tablet i have missed?

4.)Toshiba advised me to wait 2 weeks for their new release, is this the r15? If so, it certainly does not have the same specs as the m200.

I thank you for any input...this decision is making me crazy!!

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to the site.

1) No problems, in fact this has been one of the best tablets out there.

2) If 32MB is enough video RAM for those programs, you'll do well. The only problem is at 12" there are hardly any other options, if any, as you already found.

3) Certainly no other tablet and all the 12" notebooks I can think of have integrated graphics.

4) The R15 is already out, we're working on a review now, though first thoughts have been posted in the news section. The R15 is not comparable to the M200, it's a totally different series and it won't meet your needs well.

My only hesitation is the refurbished issue. If you get a decent warranty then fine, but with new M200s going for $1500, I wouldn't take the chance on a refurb with a bad warranty.

3. enriquenator

enriquenator Pen Pal - Newbie

Just out of curiosity, will your R15 review be out soon?

And one other thing, it's really admirable how quickly you guys respond to questions on this site. You all do a really great job.

4. dlp

dlp Pen Pal - Newbie

i agree enriquenator , this site is the most helpful on the net- thanks alot brian!

you've helped me make my decision.

btw, where can you purchase the m200 new for 1500? did a search and did not find that price.

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Heh, happy to help! We have a Fujitsu review that will be up first, then Barry will follow with the R15. He's doing both of them and can probably weigh in on timelines. Feel free to ask any questions though in the interim. As for the M200, if I remember correctly the deal was at Best Buy.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

dlp,

I have run Photoshop CS on the R15 and it runs fine. I also think the audocad will do OK, but the shared video architecture may tend to slow things down a bit when working with 3D. The M200 is a really nice unit for travel and feels a bit more solid than the R15. However the R15's display is more appropriate for regular graphics work. If you plan to travel often and connect to an external 19" monitor for the majority of your work, then I would go with the M200. If you plan on using the built-in display most of the time, I would grab the R15 and suck up the extra bulk for travel. Hope this helps.

By the way, I expect to have the R15 review posted by the first of next week.

Barry