M200 format

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Brian, Jun 8, 2005.

1. lunlun

lunlun Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm just wondering how would u format the M200 if something bad happens.~

okay, here's what i got

1) recovery disk from toshiba
    2) A window XP tablet edition install disk (not the recovery disk)
    3) A TOSHIBA floopy drive
    4) A NON-toshiba PCMCIA dvd drive
    5) I got 2 more computers at home so, networking is avaliable.

what's my option here?!

can i....

S1) use my non-toshiba dvd drive with the recovery disk?? i suppose no?
    S2) what about the non toshiba dvd drive with my separate window XP tablet edition install disk?

S3) hmmm anything i can do with the floppy drive? (maybe boot it up to dos and then install some driver so non toshiba dvd drive will work?)

S4) Is it possible to boot and install through my home network?

SOrry if i sound confusing, please correct me, or ask me to clarify anything!!!
    and also THX for ur ideas/ and help

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lunlun,

You can certainly use your external drive if you need to. As far as which method to reformat or repair your Windows image depends on what is wrong. If your machine were to become a complete mess ridden with spyware and/or a virus, I would personally reimage the system to the factory image (with the Toshiba recovery disk). If you are an advanced user, you might wish to perform a clean install by using your Windows XP Tablet PC Edition CD. If you decided to take that route, you would have to first boot with the Windows disk, then at the prompt format the drive, then install. Once that process is complete, you would need to download the newest drivers for your M200 from the Toshiba website and install them to get all of our hardware to work properly (not as scary as it sounds). There are other options like simply "repairing Windows" fom the Windows disk, etc. It just really depends on what you need to accomplish.

3. lunlun

lunlun Pen Pal - Newbie

i thought the recovery disk only works on TOSHIBA branded external cd-drive?

4. lunlun

lunlun Pen Pal - Newbie

my main concern is

can a "non-toshiba" branded external cd-rom

boot up the system.

coz i heard from somewhere that they only allow "toshiba" branded cd-rom to be detected

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've never heard that and would be really angry if that were the case. IT might be worth a call to support to find out.