M200 and Vista

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by BrianL, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianL

BrianL Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I am currently in the market for a tablet and I'd like something small and portable that will still have decent performace and be Vista-ready. Anyway, the Toshiba M200 seems like a nice little machine - the size and weight are good, as is the performance, and it's one of the only 12" machines with dedicated graphics. However, it is considered to be "dated" technology by some. How true is this? Would it be not wise to buy one if I'd like it to be Vista-Ready? The chipset is a tad older (Dothan, not Sonoma I believe), but it does have dedicated graphics, so it would SEEM to be more Vista-ready than any other 12" (save the Acer C200).

Should I still consider it?

Also, what battery life could I expect from one running only OneNote?

Thanks

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This machine is older, but should handle running Vista. I would however advise you to go with a newer piece of hardware, especially with all of the options that are out there. Vista will surely take full advantage of the PCI Express BUS which Sonoma boasts. I am guessing that you will take a big hit in performance with a Dothan-based machine upon upgrading to Vista vs. the Sonoma generation of machines. But then again I am not Yoda, so the final release will tell all.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it depends on your needs. The M200 is older, but the dedicated card will help with the Vista GUI. However, as Barry notes, the new chipset is better in Sonoma and will run faster. It's a tough call. We just don't know all the variables regarding Vista yet.

4. BrianL

BrianL Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice! Though I'm still at a loss as to what tablet I would like, the decision I finally do make will be a more informed one.

5. cdthomas9

cdthomas9 Pen Pal - Newbie

You might want to check out the new Acer C200 series (C204 i think). They look pretty beefed up. I ordered one for a co-worker, and i won't see it for another week or two, but it looks sweet. Not a toshiba but... ::shrug::

http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/tmc200.htm

6. BrianL

BrianL Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, the C204 is definitely one I'm considering. I love the specs and bang-for-buck it offers.....but I'm not a huge fan of that sliding mechanism......*sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.