M1 iPad pro vs Galaxy S7+ for artists

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jun 7, 2021.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The first time Colbow is on a real split between the iPad pro and the Samsung equivalent. As usual, he feels the hardware (barring that M1 vs Snapdragon chip) is on par but this year there's a surprise in which screen and which stylus he feels is better.

His final decision on Arts software is the closest yet in the years I've seen this particular tablet battle - however if full Adobe Apps ever come out for one or other device that will sway things very heavily.

COGBABY likes this.
  2. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

He may not know that the drawing performance of UD EMR depends on the pen.

The original pens of Galaxy Tab S7 Series tablet computers are not very suitable for painting. They are too small in diameter and light in weight. In addition, the pressure sensor almost reaches the worst level in EMR pens. The initial activation force (IAF) of s-pen is relatively high, and the initial pressure sensing percentage reaches 18%, Samsung's free s-pen is obviously designed for note taking rather than painting.

If you use painting, it is recommended to buy a third-party zbook x2 pen because it has the best initial activation force (IAF) of 1gram, The percentage value of the initial pressure induction is 0.1%, Has the incomparable writing feeling, Pen performance and feel are closest to Wacom propen2

I think wacom EMR pen has more advantages

1:The biggest advantage of Apple pencil is as high as 90% ° The tilt pen has the most sensitive recognition range, and apple provides the best tilt sensor for Apple pencil. Other pen solutions have a maximum of 60 ° The recognition range of tilt pen.

2:First of all, wacom EMR pens don't need batteries to work, which means they can be lighter and thinner. I prefer pens under 13g. The third-party pens with the same generation technology of UD EMR have incredible compatibility. Different pens have different design styles, provide different number of buttons and expand the function of eraser at the end of the pen.
    In order to sell Apple pencil additionally, Apple has no open system interface API and qualified third-party Apple pencil substitutes, so it can only use the fixed 21g weight of Apple's official Apple pencil.

3:There is also the cost of the pen. The main components of the apple pencil active capacitance pen are all on the pen, and many microchip sensors are used, so the pen is very expensive. The sales price of Apple pencil is more than $100.
    The main cost of wacom EMR is the electromagnetic induction digitizer under the screen, which is borne by the manufacturer. The cost of EMR pen is very low. EMR pens only have coil capacitors and PCB boards, and most devices are supplied with pens. At present, the best UD EMR electromagnetic pen, the additional purchase price is $35-85).

4:Because there is a battery inside the apple pencil, the life of the pen will be affected by the battery cycle. If the environment is extremely low or high temperature, the battery will fail, affecting the charging or pen operation.

5:Wacom EMR nib is thinner than apple pencil nib (the minimum diameter is 0.7mm). It has NIB types such as plastic, rubber, felt and so on. It is very comfortable to write. The apple pencil tip is too big (over 2mm) and very smooth. If you don't use the frosted screen protector that affects the clarity of the screen, it's very difficult to write.

6:Wacom EMR technology does not use capacitive touch screen digitizer to work, even if there is sweat and rain on the screen, the pen can work normally after the touch screen is closed. Apple pencil belongs to active capacitive pen technology. Touch screen digitizer is easy to be disturbed by static electricity, resulting in pen writing failure. In addition, apple pencil had better not stick too thick screen protector film, which will affect the signal strength of capacitive screen and aggravate the ripple line effect of slow diagonal writing jitter.

7:In terms of suspension sensing distance cursor, wacom EMR is the strongest, with a sensing distance of 10 mm, and the tracking speed delay at the highest position of the cursor is also very low (Hover cursor follow function, such as in Photoshop can see the size of the brush, tilt direction and so on is very convenient , iPad OS does not support suspension sensing cursor, no comparison).On the windows system which supports hovering cursor, the tracking response of hovering cursor of wacom AES and Microsoft MPP is not as good as that of wacom EMR。 Wacom EMR scheme relies on the most responsive hovering electromagnetic induction distance, and opens the "lgnore touch input when I'm using my pen" function to obtain the most reliable palm rejection performance.

8:In terms of pressure sense, the wacom 4096 level of ud emr pen is not false, Wacom EMR technology can input almost original handwriting. Pencil relies too much on software algorithm optimization, It feels unnatural to add handwriting prediction algorithms for lower pen latency

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    dstrauss, COGBABY, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I feel its a little unfair to compared the M1 iPad Pro (which just come out) to the S7+ (that came out almost a year ago). In terms of hardware, A comparison to the 4th gen iPad Pro would be more fair. Or he should have waited another few months for the Tab S8 tablets rumored to come out this summer/fall. (although I still feel the M1 will still outclass whatever the S8 ends up with).

To his review, he complains that the Tab S7+'s keyboard option is flimsy, but I don't feel he rightfully critiqued Apple since the magic keyboard has its own shortcomings. For one, you can't draw with the Magic Keyboard and the Magic keyboard is so limited in how you view/use the iPad. Where as the S7+s keyboard and detachable kickstand offer much better versatility. And he mentions how the Samsung keyboard isn't magnetic enough as a con. While I understand the point he's trying to make, given the EMR pen tech is has a major weakness when around magnets, Samsung likely deliberately did that so the magnets wouldn't interfere with the pen performance. With the old WOA Galaxy Book 2, they used really strong magnets, and just a few minutes with it, I could see how badly the magnets were interfering with the Pen performance.

That being said, this was of especial interest to me since last summer I was considering the iPad Pro 12.9 or the Tab S7+. I ultimately went with the iPad Pro, but in the past year I kind of hardly draw with it, and I use it almost exclusively as a sidecar display with my M1 Mac Air. Ironically I recently got the Tab S6 lite a few months ago intending to use it exclusively as a Super Display display to my Zbook X2 or Surface Pro 5. And weirdly I am drawing with it more then ever. I did exchange the stock nib for a different/rounder one, and I just love the feeling of it. The Apple Pencil 2 is good, but the S-pen is still superior in my book. I still greatly prefer the iPad's 3/4 aspect ratio (the S6 lites 16:9 kind of sucks) and palm rejection is better on the iPad, but given my experience with the Tab S6 lite, I probably would have gone with the Tab S7+ if I could redo the year.

Marty likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

The one thing I still stand by the Apple pencil for is accuracy over EMR pencils I've tried, where you put your tip down is where you are drawing and that works right across the screen and from corner to corner. We've had our iPad half as long as my zbook - expecting to use both as much for drawing and after a month, I basically haven't touched the iPad as an art machine.

Anyhow, Colbow's previous reviews always had the iPad win out on Apps and he had the screens equal. I had thought the M1's new screen would win out but he does point out that "cloudy effect" which most probably won't notice but I'm guessing as an artist - you just don't want as that has a peripheral effect on your workings.

Just hope that Samsung starts to move away from 16:9 screen ratios though.

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would love nothing more, if they released a 3/4 ratio like the Tab S3, or a 2/3 Ratio like the original Galaxy Books, I'd buy it on the spot.

Sadly the rumors of the Tab S8's indicate the 11 & 12 inchers would be identical in size the current S7 offerings. The most interesting rumor however is that they will over a larger 3rd size at 14.6 inches. And like the M1 iPad Pros, the Ram across all 3 sizes will be 8GB, with the 14-incher having an option for 12GB, which is less then the current high end iPad Pros's 16GB, but given how the iPads can only access 5GB, the spec is kind of pointless for the iPads. And to my knowledge that weird limitation on Ram was not addressed in todays keynote.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/samsung-galaxy-tab-s8-ultra-leaked-and-it-towers-over-ipad-pro-2021

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Older tablet PCs had a gap between the glass/plastic and the actual display, The thickness of the older electromagnetic induction digitizer is larger,In older EMR devices, there is a serious inaccuracy problem of the pen cursor on the edge of the display.

Current Wacom EMR devices have optically-bonded displays,that minimize the gap,And the new UD Emr digitizer is really as thin as a sheet of paper, The pen cursor is more precise near the edge of the screen

Even for the same model, the screen edge offset of each EMR device is different, so I suggest that the ruler be used to draw grid lines on the screen edge of new non-cheap optically bonded displays EMR device after you buy them. Any cursor offset greater than 5mm is abnormal, so please seek replacement from the after-sales service

New mobile devices use low-power electromagnetic induction plates as thin as a sheet of paper
    [​IMG]

Traditional PCB type electromagnetic induction plate
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  7. doobiedoobiedum

Says a lot about the S7+ that he rated it nearly as highly as the new M1 iPad pro then.

Might just abandon my plans to get a Mac Mini M1 and a 16 inch Wacom screen as that would be my ultimate drawing lightweight tablet then - I hope it would have a high resolution OLED screen because I'm a little dissappointed that the Galaxy Flex / Galaxy Pro 360 seem to be 1080 OLED displays. I could live with 16:9 at a pinch if the screen res is high enough.

(*edit: the article on the 14 inch tablet is worryingly close to talk of a foldable tablet - I have zero interest in devices that are designed to fail after 12 months of intended use so I hope the Basquiat 3 is not a foldable monstrosity)

That's enough to ruin it for me I'm afraid - that was the wiggle I get with nearly any EMR tablet. The general advice with EMR has always been to draw nearer the middle of the screen however my point about the Apple Pencil being more accurate at the edge of the screen is what I'm saying would win it for me if the drawing tip / pencil feel was more user friendly.

As it is, the Apple Pencil is not for me as a drawing tool until Apple changes the nib feel.

How the devil did you manage that? The zbook is built like a tank and unless you drove your car over it or hit it with a hammer, it should survive most ordinary damage.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  8. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom EMR depends a lot on manufacturer calibration and magnetic shielding. There had been hit and miss with older HP or Lenovo offering, but Samsung get it rights 90% of the time, especially in their Android tablet and Phone offering. All Samsung EMR devices I owned are all pixel perfect without any wiggle when it come to calibration.

Another thing I found Chinese EMR offering still not perfected is precision. Even on old 2012 UD devices with thick glass, as long as there is no magnetic interference, the cursor always follow exactly (pixel perfect) where I expect it to go even with thick glass parallax.

On Chinese EMR offering, at this part of the screen, the cursor could be in the center of my pen tip, but when I move the pen to another part of screen, the cursor might not stay at perfect center but very slight off to the right etc. It's still considered accurate , but not as precise as EMR if you want to draw small detail zoomed out.

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  9. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m a big fan of the S Pen, having used it for several years on Galaxy Note phones.

Galaxy Book Pro 360 looks good, except for the wide screen and lack of availability in Australia.

Android on tablets: have there been any improvements? And quality/range of apps is an issue. I use Sketchbook Pro on my Galaxy Note 9.

But I don’t think there are apps to match the ones I use on my iPad Pro: Procreate, LumaFusion, Garage Band.

10. doobiedoobiedum

Lumafusion is available for Android but what about Infinite painter as a rival for Procreate?

I like SBPro but prefer it on the desktop as you get the flipbook feature for roughing out animation. Having said that - Flipaclip is available on iOS and Android - love that program for creating short animation clips and the sound editor on it is pretty powerful. In fact I think the sound editor shows the true power and simplicity of these tablets for art when compared to desktops.

After having an older (non-Pencil) iPad for a while I bought the ordinary iPad to test before splashing out on an iPP - I always liked and noticed the accuracy of the pencil but I wasn't sure about long term use. For drawing, even in simple applications, I will use my zbook. The pencil has been untouched after 2 weeks trial. I don't think my partner or our daughter use it at all either - they're just as happy with their fingers.
    We could put a paperlike on but that takes away from the screen quality so I think the pencil will just gather dust.

@Steve S - I know your comment was on a different thread - just prefer to post my reply here on a more congenial discussion thread.

stoneseeker and COGBABY like this.