M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly, Blender has only outlasted much better 3D applications because it's free.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

My local Best Buy just got the new MacBook Pros and I was looking at the screens and I thought, boy, are those colors are sharp, deep and vivid, but has anyone else noticed very, very noticeable ghosting? It is extremely bad to the point that it kills it for me or I would be an instant-return it if this were a laptop I was seriously considering. It reminds me of the ghosting you would see on budget laptops. The iPad Pros and all the Windows high end OLED laptops definitely do not exhibit this sort of behavior. Anyone else see this? This is really bad to my eyes, at least, and like most of you, I don’t only use my laptop screen just to hang on the wall for still portraits no matter how good it looks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Achilles' heel of an otherwise excellent display.

Hardware Unboxed did an excellent deep-dive into the new XDR mobile displays, and it's all happy sailing until they got to motion performance (@12:14):

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I played with the Macbook Pro 14/16 for quite a while at Best Buy and I didn't notice any ghosting.

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah no ghosting on any of the three new pros (two 14's and one 16) we have in our test lab at the moment.

And FWIW the 14 (we haven't fully tested the 16 yet) has the best display in a MacBook Pro we've tested to date.

6. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Do you mean the blooming around white small features on a black background? Or a trail behind moving objects?

7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I got my Apple Watch back from Samsung today (Series 6 SE 44mm Nike LTE) and it appears to be okay, just need to buy a charger and band since I guess they just toss those away when you include them with a trade. I got just the watch itself back.

Anyway, that's a chunk of money I don't have to re-spend. And I saw a refurbished M1 Mac Mini 16/512 on Apple.com which would only cost me $836 (military/vet pricing, plus taxes of course). 16GB configs, especially with more than 256GB storage are hard to catch at Apple and they go very quickly...

My last Mac was a 2014 Mac Mini which I liked quite a bit. I used it for about six months in 2017 but I couldn't devise a workflow for my freelance stuff that was less than twice as time consuming as doing it in Windows. So I reluctantly sold it.

Freelancing is a thing of the past and won't hold me back. 16GB RAM plus Parallels* looks like it'll do Steam games well enough for my desires (just needs to run Skyrim LE 1080p with mods and I'm happy). We'll see how it goes.

*And/or CrossOver but I tried it in Linux a year ago and it was substantially worse than Steam Proton, which itself wasn't quite good enough for me at the time.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  8. dellaster

20211223_114724-01.jpeg
    I guess YouTube reviewers weren't exaggerating when they said these things never even get warm. I updated it to MacOS Monterey and installation would normally tax the system a little bit, one would think, but zero fan sound and it was cool to the touch throughout. I think I felt a little bit of warmth after splashing paint around in Rebelle 5 with my Xencelabs pen tablet after I got them all installed.

Then I installed VLC and some videos, paired my Bose QC 35 II headphones, just to make sure BT audio was doing okay. I've read other people having BT issues. None here that I can detect. :thumbsup:

My brain is tired from working to remember how to operate a Mac system so I'm going to get some lunch and probably do something else the rest of the day.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  9. dellaster

As expected, CrossOver doesn't like me. I read and viewed YouTube people getting good results but for me, Skyrim LE wouldn't get above mid-teens FPS on medium settings during the wagon intro. No music or NPC voices, either. Skyrim SE was better. Lots better. I don't know the FPS since Steam's counter wouldn't show up, but it seemed smooth during the intro on high settings. Too bad textures flashed white all over the screen. Unplayable. :eek:

CrossOver is a frontend for WINE, a compatibility layer that doesn't need Windows. Parallels, on the other hand, needs a Windows 11 ARM image to create a VM which only uses half the RAM and CPU cores. Then, to run a game like Skyrim, WOA uses x86 emulation. On paper CrossOver should be way faster and user experiences that aren't like mine have borne that out. Nevertheless, Parallels works better for me. Even after that obstacle course of virtualization and emulation Skyrim LE does 40-60 FPS at 1080p, medium-high settings. Very playable. That's before mods but also before optimization tweaks, so it might even improve. Skyrim SE was ~30 FPS on medium. My hat is off to the Parallels crew. Pretty amazing, considering.

Perhaps just as importantly, for me, tools for Skyrim are not only fully functional, they're properly scaled on my 4k monitor.
    20211225_085343-01.jpeg
    Half my enjoyment nowadays is from creating & playing around with my own mods or tweaking those by others. (And yowza, I just noticed that there are 156 bear traps in that part of Windhelm. Why?! Edit: oh, right, must be in the civil war Windhelm siege alternative.)

So I paid my $80 for a year of Standard Parallels and applied a Win10 key to activate the Insider Preview Win11 ARM it uses. CrossOver is cheaper at $60 per year, or $40 per year without support. Maybe in a year when Parallels is up for renewal I'll do another trial of CrossOver to see how it improved.

By the way, all this Windows/Mac update, software, and games downloading killed my monthly hotspot allotment. I just barely finished installing the Mac version of Stellaris w/DLCs when it got cut to 128Kbs. I'm currently struggling to complete a few things...
    20211225_094333-01.jpeg
    Much envy for those who are not limited by circumstances to cellular-only. At least my smartphone itself has truly unlimited bandwidth and I can download some things there and use a sneakernet SD card + adapter to get things on the Mac during the interim (data resets Jan 10th).

/End rambling. Merry Christmas! :D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    Marty and JoeS like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are the bananas essential to the set-up?

I have a digitiser screen attached to mine for Photoshop but we attach to the main TV when my daughter is doing her homework.

I forget the mini runs a fan until I work on a large video file in DaVinci Resolve. Even then, it’s pretty quiet.

Only thing I really miss is an SD card - hopefully the next version will have one. I read the M1 Mac Pro will be super powerful but the M1 mini is still pretty unbeatable for me - I’m not running a large media studio setup so don’t need that kind of power.

dellaster likes this.