M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I have nothing to add here other than saying that I really enjoy the discussion of tools of the trade (and choices of career path) between two professionals. We haven't had too many of such discussions here lately, so this is great! Anyway, carry on. :)

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I could go on for hours on these topics, it's just that I don't want to test how far can @doobiedoobiedum 's patience stretch. :D

For instance talking about sculpting and generally 3D modeling in the last year I discovered this English guy that goes under the nickname of SouthernGfx which made me open my eyes on many things I never really considered. He's great and I think I'll get his introduction to Nomad course once I have a bit more time. :)
    A sample video:

doobiedoobiedum and Eltos like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yikes, I forgot it was an M1 thread. I’m all embarrassed now. I blame @Azzart for drawing me in.

Eltos and JoeS like this.
  4. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

It's fine, it's fine!!!! :) We like these journeys.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. Eltos

6. doobiedoobiedum

That's something that should be handled at system level. I thought (having seen some videos) that only the Apple menu was supposed to live up in the top where the notch resides. I can see a mini-major update to Monterey very soon.

Personally I like my Apple reviewers to be looking for major faults, I don't mind Mr Snazzy being a bit intense - he does that in a lot of his videos.

Eltos likes this.
  7. Eltos

I think part of the problem is the way mac displays fonts at the subpixel layer. It simply doesn't display fonts very well when really small. I am sure they will fix it, like you said.

8. doobiedoobiedum

Someone decided to test a 14 inch MacBook Pro with the Pro chip against a Zephyrus g15 ryzen 9 5900hs 3070 gaming laptop.

Results are interesting to say the least.

9. doobiedoobiedum

I downloaded Forger to try - it's free to try on the iPad (Nomad Sculpt is free to try on Android) and pretty quickly I could do things with the tablet version that you need to know the arcane secret menus for in Blender.
    I almost threw my Mac Mini out the window this weekend because of Blender - I'm quickly reassessing whether I should look at a tablet like a Galaxy Tab 8 Ultra when it comes out or an iPad pro for digital sculpting. First though, I'll see what my lowly iPad can do.

Having read some horrible things about Samsung screens on the new 360 Samsungs - I might wait and see how the consumer models work if I don't want an iPad Pro.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Apps are always easier to master: in the end they have far less commands, tools and options to learn. In some cases they cover all of someone's needs and everything is beautiful.
    It's when you crash face first into some of their limitations that you'll want to come back to good old ogrish Blender.