M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know what we all want to see....the inevitable Macbook Pro 14 vs Surface Laptop Studio smackdown.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

These are macOS X86 games, where while they are X86 compiled for the CPU, they are using Metal which is graphics microarchitectural agnostic. The CPU performance (i.e. X86-ARM translation) is posing no roadblock to the graphics performance or you would not see a linear increase in performance when moving up from the M1 Pro to the M1 Max.

Eltos likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360 keep trying:p:D, but the reality is Apple has taken a huge leap at the moment and is in many ways out in front of anyone in the X86 camp.

That could change, but Apple has a massive lead at the moment and Apple's best weapon that the Wintel camp will likely never have is both OS and chipset 100% optimized for each other.

This also proving my engineering professors assertion is that it's almost always easier to scale up than down, and Apple staring with low power mobile devices is bring huge dividends.

I still would like to see though I doubt it will happen is for MS to really go all in on their own custom ARM design, and a version of Windows to go with it.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

The $1999 M1 Pro-power MacBook Pro 14-nm would go up again Surface Laptop Studio's i7 512GB model with RTX 3050 Ti at $2099. While the CPU quad-core Core i7-11370 in the Surface Laptop Studio is DOA compared to the M1 Pro's eight-core CPU, the M1 Pro's GPU is more akin to an RTX 3050 in real-world game performance. So at best, you are looking at a toss-up in the GPU arena.

Eltos likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

But Metal's just the API, its not the graphics card in its own right and thats a very important ingredient. Every Intel Based Mac Game, while metal compatible, was still developed to take advantage of what was typically an AMD graphics card in those Intel Macbook Pros. M1 Pro/Max is whole different recipe.

6. sonichedgehog360

I am talking GPU's here, not X86, but nice try. :p It is still nearly all a product of node advancement. And again, "they are using Metal which is graphics microarchitectural agnostic." The matter here is their graphics performance (which is again not an X86 conversation, at all) isn't quite as far ahead as they would have the world to believe.

7. darkmagistric

Oh I know that M1 Pro will essentially slaughter the Laptop Studio, but I'd still like the see the bloody battle. And I would like to see certain use cases. Like a Photoshop batch processing/ liquify battle, or which system can hold its own with a 1000+px size smudge brush set to scattering.

8. desertlap

And I'm talking total systems here which is what ultimately matters to everyone except those that get their jollies by running a few of their favorite benchmarks all day.

So right back atcha.....

PS: Our engineers and creatives are already planning a "bake off" between the Laptop Studio and the new MB Pros. I will be watching from the sidelines, popcorn in hand :)

JoeS and darkmagistric like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

The graphics calls are architecturally agnostic in using Metal. Bear in mind too that GFXBench is not a shader heavy test and is mobile oriented. It is not going to tax the memory bandwidth like a shader heavy modern AAA title like Shadow of the Tomb Raider would.

Eltos likes this.
  10. desertlap

I'm done. you are in full fanboy mode now so I'll wait until you step back a bit.

and BTW if you really wanted a more "apples to apples" comparison we'd be talking about Intel with XE graphics or Ryzens with integrated Radeon, but that wouldn't even be a fair fight....