M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably Nproc would have even showed me. I just didn't care to know honestly.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You only joined in at the end. Anyhow, it's all done and in the past and as you say - Apple have brought back the features the niche always needed for our professional lives.

All that's left for me is to decide between getting the 14 and the 16 but I'll watch some of the first tech Youtube reviews to be best informed on that choice.

And yet, if Windows makes its OS and interface a lot more user friendly nobody will complain. Apple does it and they get panned. I definitely like Big Sur more than any of the other versions of OSX and it's doesn't get in my way with stuff I need to do. I also use iPad apps on it - lacking pressure sensitivity - but that's really added to my armoury.
    Can't wait to see how it runs on an MBP.

3. Eltos

It's not the user friendly I care about. It's the locking down of the OS and trying to make it so I don't have access to everything. That's the part I don't miss now that I don't have a mac. (Well that and the bonus backdoor that they haven't officially ruled out yet...)

I am glad that it is working for what you need though.

As far as Windows, are you kidding? People have been panning Windows 11 for weeks on the start menu changes alone.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you talking about the rumoured lockdown to prevent side loading of any Apps from outside the App Store? I don't think Apple would do that. For one, the App Store for iPads and iPhones is huge. MacBook users by comparison are a tiny market and killing that off with App-store type restrictions would kill MacBooks off for good.

Thanks. It's a reminder that consumers can force a company to reconsider by simply refusing to hand cash over when a new shiny "thing" comes out. It it's a downgrade on the previous iteration, there is no compulsion (beyond a desire to have the latest tech always) to buy it. If enough others think similarly, then the seller has to reconsider its offerings.
    I really wish buyers in other tech areas would do the same - we'd have better products in lots of areas too.

I think if you're a Windows user, you can pan the offering - see my point above. However if you never intend to buy or have swapped OS brands, it seems a bit pointless to come back and criticise a product you would never consider anyway.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow...little use case update.

Just got off of a 40-min Webex conference call. I started my M1 Macbook about 5 minutes prior to the meeting, full 99% charge from startup, full brightness, and powering the Mobile Pixels Monitor.

After just 45 minutes powering the Mobile Pixels Monitor and running the WebEx meeting software at full brightness, my Battery had gone from 99% to 63%

wow, good thing I brought my charger, the WebEx app must be very M1 inefficient to knock my battery life that much in under an hour.

sonichedgehog360, Eltos and JoeS like this.
  6. Eltos

This is the kind of crap I kept finding LOL.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In a way it's nice to know that it's not only Windows that suffers from these things. On Reddit a user was lamenting the SLS battery life while working at full brightness and running the battery sucking software known as Zoom. I'm thinking the live audio filtering and image processing that Zoom does didn't help matters.

8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the reviews are coming online for the new MB Pros and it looks like Apple is 2 for 2 in beating expectations on performance (and battery life is just amazing).

This is the engadget review but they are all saying similar things.

MacBook Pro 14-inch and 16-inch review (2021): Apple’s mighty Macs | Engadget

As impressive as these are, I wonder how much they will move the needle sales wise, as at least in our customer base, there are many factors besides raw performance, especially OS experience and apps.

OTOH our biggest Mac guy has been positively drooling this morning as he unboxed our 16.

9. Eltos

You know, they should be happy. It is a sweet machine. I just wish I liked the direction of the OS and company. No inking means I have to have two devices...if I didn't need that? That 14 incher is high-priced but high-performance.

Hopefully this lights a fire under intel....

JoeS, bloodycape and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

As it turns out, M1 Max's integrated graphics is indeed fast for its power level, but it is not RTX 3080 fast. Pushing aside synthetics, it is not quite up to 3080 levels as GFX Bench might lead you to believe. Initially, it might think that Rosetta translation is the performance wall but it turns out that we are GPU bound at this point. Hence, that leads to the doubled performance when scaling from the M1 Pro to the M1 Max. So, in games, M1 Max ends up performing more like an RTX 3060.

[​IMG]

Source:
    GPU Performance: 2-4x For Productivity, Mixed Gaming - Apple's M1 Pro, M1 Max SoCs Investigated: New Performance and Efficiency Heights (anandtech.com)

dellaster and Eltos like this.