M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! That is true. Dang I miss Snow Leopard...

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Definitely one of the best releases of OSX.

Only rivaled by (and I'm really going to show my age here) System 7. System 7 and a PowerBook 170 were the bomb back in the day.

sonichedgehog360, dstrauss and Eltos like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Those earlier devices only relied on the Pen because Touch screens as a whole were far less common and far less useful. Windows XP sure as hell wasn't designed for touch. The iPad/iPhone/Ipod Touch certainly helped facilitate the whole market moving towards touch, but for the past decade+ most of us have been haunting this board, did anyone here ever purchase a penabled/non touch Tablet PC purely for UI Navigation? Ask anyone on this board back in 2010 or earlier about the merits and usefulness of a stylus..Back then, and I doubt anyone would even remotely make that equivalence. If you asked me prior to 2010 the main benefit of a stylus on a computer or tablet, my answer back then would have been "to enable drawing".

doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Accurate and Halloween appropriate :D

5. darkmagistric

On my M1 Air, I get around the same...7-8 hours-ish. Thats also with full screen brightness. One thing I have found interesting is how much the battery life dips when its powering a USB-C monitor.

I've used USB-C monitors with both my Zbook X2 and M1 air, and where as the zBooks average battery life is 2.5 hours The USB-C monitor I would normally use with my Zbook was a Asus ZenScreen MB16 which had an energy consumption of 8W. Although the Asus did have a battery, many times If I had access to a wall outlet, I would disable the battery and just run it off the Zbooks USB-C power. But in cases where I didn't want to use the battery and didn't have a wall outlet handy, Powering that Asus montior, my zBooks battery would go from 2.5 to 1.5 hours.

However with the M1 Macbook air, I got a Mobile Pixels USB-C monitor (the Duex Plus) that has a 4.5w power energy consumption. Both monitors are the same 1080 res and hit the same relative max brightness of around 200 nits. No joke, my M1 air powering that Mobile Pixels Monitor, my battery life will literally dip from 7-8 hours to 3-4 hours.

Marty likes this.
  6. desertlap

Is Apple’s M1 Max really the fastest laptop chip ever? | Engadget

One of the more balanced (so far) takes on the potential of the new Apple chips. Definitely a question of " if you build it, will they come.."

IMHO though it gives additional validation to why I've been a RISC/ARM advocate for awhile and think it still has tons of untapped potential.

OTOH, I sincerely hope this is scaring the crap out of Intel and the X86/CISC camp as competition benefits everyone.

PS: I do expect that RISC versus CISC will become irrelevant in a few years as they both adopt the others ideas.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    dstrauss and bloodycape like this.
  7. desertlap

What you are seeing is a legacy going back to the very first USB mac, the iMac.

For a long time and in a few cases it's still true, they are the only company that has been almost 100% compliant with the USB spec including things like power delivery and management. Fortunately the Surface Pro 8 and Studio laptop have joined that club.

Chris_Kez and darkmagistric like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't think we have all the numbers, but if an inefficient device has a battery life drop of 40%, that corresponds to a lot of watts. A similar power draw will have a much bigger impact on the runtime of an otherwise energy efficient device. Maybe it's partly that?

9. darkmagistric

I suspect its more just because the Mobile Pixels monitor isn't made by Apple. Its like all the energy saving magic of the M1 from hardware to software (body and soul) is so specifically fine tuned that adding any 3rd party accessory into the mix throws off the whole recipe. Since usually the Display is one of the biggest draws of power, I can only conclude that the M1 Air's default screen, despite being double the brightness and a higher res than the mobile pixels monitor, must sip very little power.

sonichedgehog360 and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I wonder if there’s a utility that will show you what’s engaging the high vs. low power cores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.