M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Let's talk NOTCH for a moment...

The NOTCH even tops the former Touch Bar/butterfly keyboard design for insanity - a NOTCH without Face ID is absurd, unless - wait for it - it is another badge of Apple courage for you to distinguish YOU HAVE THE LATEST MACBOOK PRO.

My HP Spectre x360-14 has a very narrow top bezel AND facial recognition. Now Apple cognoscenti will correct me that Windows Hello facial recognition is "not as good" as vaunted Face ID - SO WHAT even if it is true? But it is NOT in their NOTCH and therefore a strawman argument.

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In fairness, isn't the notch partly to house a vastly improved 1080p webcam and, well, is that not a good thing? The one thing I hate about my Spectre x360 14 is the need to attach a Logitech webcam for decent video conferencing.

Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You're right - the camera is weak for conferencing - but just can't not see the NOTCH, even if it is buried in the menu bar...

4. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed. They had a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get this right and they chose the notch.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One issue with that line of logic, even though the D9 isn't designed for gaming, it can game. The Quadro RTX 5000 may not be much of a gaming match for a RTX 3090, but it can certainly hold its own at the mid level when needed. The issue with the lack of gaming with the new Macs is more lack of development more than anything, the most powerful box in the world is useless if no one develops for it. I know so many diehard Mac users who still keep a PC exclusively for gaming. Despite the power of the M1 Max, unless developers start developing games for it, the Mac will never be a true gaming platform. Its simply in this specific instance, the wider scale variety of PC offerings is still Microsoft/Intel/AMDs/Nvidia's main advantage over M1.

On the PC camp, you have enough sheer variety that any use case can be accommodated for. Apple cannot say the same pretty specifically in regards to gaming, but in the same turn, I kind of feel they don't really care too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I own an iPhone but I couldn't help but laugh at this:

[​IMG]

Kumabjorn, Eltos and Steve S like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I've linked this before:

John Carmack about Steve Jobs "Steve didn’t think very highly of games, and always wished they weren’t as important to his platforms as they turned out to be."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8l9qw2/john_carmack_about_steve_jobs_steve_didnt_think/

I owned Macs from 1984-1997, chatted with game devs on CompuServe, GEnie, BIX, et al, and they said the same. Jobs hated having Apple products associated with games and actively discouraged their development. The attitude persists at Apple.

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Steve Jobs was also conceptually against any mobile device that couldn’t fit into a pocket and was quite notoriously anti-stylus, yet iPads and Apple Pencils exist. The days of Apple dictating their strategy to appease Steve Jobs personal tastes are long gone as they no longer care if he’s rolling over in his grave.

bloodycape and lovelaptops like this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That may all be true - but like I mentioned yesterday and look at this poll for some evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx8jxOaQ5VHSf15Vwsc-GwxkpNqE4ta-yl

The majority of those upgrading to the new MacBooks are upgrading from pre 2016 MacBooks. That says two things - especially the 2012 / 2013 MacBook owners. We aren't using our Macs for gaming and it isn't our priority in life. The iPad isn't a gaming platform and never will be but that's not why people buy it - is it?

And if it is - then remember that iPad apps can run on new M1 Macs too.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, what's the alternative - a wider bezel? Happy to dump on Apple, though, just sayin :D