M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

How can we not LOVE someone like that?
    ❤️

Marty, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

THE RANT CONTINUES - after not adding a SINGLE feature in iPadOS 15 for the M1 iPad Pro, Apple has the gaul to release a new commercial mocking PC's and touting the iPad Pro as "your next computer"

Even 9-to-5 Mac couldn't stand this nonsense...

COGBABY and dellaster like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I feel fortunate that I never cared how computer-like iPads got since the software was never there for me: Github specialty projects & Word VB scripts + add-ins for my freelancing, plus gaming then and especially now that I’ve fully retired. I tried my workflow on Mac mini and the best I could do was 3-5 times slower than my Windows x86 setup (getting down towards minimum wage; not worth my time). So iPad computerness/convergence with Macs was of no interest at all. Same with Linux, BTW (I really tried). And of course all the non-x86 Windows attempts were non-starters, especially due to only having Word-Lite (no VB nor add-ins).

My iPad mini 5 on the other hand is by far my most used device—in the 80% range—because it excels at what iPads do best: consume content. It’s very unlikely I’ll be able to resist an improved mini 6. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    COGBABY likes this.
  4. dstrauss

No truer words Ted - I'm rethinking my strategy based on latest iPad Air Mini rumors...

5. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I hope they wait till they can include miniLED. I will despair waiting till mini 7!

Otherwise, yeah, it’s been a shrunk-down Air since mini 4. No reason for a change in that strategy.

6. dstrauss

So many rumors, and now Prosser is in the frey with renders based upon leaked photos and CAD's - looks just like the iPad Air 4 but with about an 8.5-9" screen - 3mm longer and wider than the iPM 5. That could be a sweet note taker and content consumer...

dellaster likes this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

WWDC was certainly disappointing as an iPad Pro user. That said, I’m still looking forward to the multitasking improvements, particularly the keyboard shortcuts since I picked up the Logitech Combo Touch this weekend and will be using my iPad more often as a portable productivity machine. I think we’ll see a more notable improvement in iPad OS next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COGBABY likes this.
  8. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m starting to doubt there will be any substantial improvements to iPadOS, as long as Macs are selling well. They’ll continue to limit its functionality, and it will remain a Mac accessory.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I usually only watch Rene Ritchie for just how much of an Apple fanboy he can be but he's (in my opinion) pretty correct when he explains that iPads were meant for users who don't want a desktop style experience - and that doesn't mean they are all just content consuming children - Apple are laser focused on what the iPad is for which is the majority of such users who want a simpler tablet. I think Apple look at users who want a more powerful experience and say "the Macbook is for you."

And then you have to remember that Apple keeps the iPad experience consistent from the bottom tier iPad all the way to the iPP - if the iPP suddenly branched out on a more Mac like OS - it would be a 3rd OS and in a little world of its own - just for a small niche (10%) of iPad users or owners. Would Adobe then produce desktop class software for this 3rd Apple OS?

Seriously, I've been joking for a while on these forums that I would get an M1 mini and attach that to a battery/portable touchscreen 16" monitor and have the "iPad Pro" people seem to want. Only problem is MacOS isn't really as touch centric as Windows screens are and so I'm veering more towards where Windows 11 could be heading with the new Windows 11 or even just a Samsung tablet that will occassionally hook up to a Windows laptop through the growing partnerships Samsung is making.
    On touch - you use the trackpad on a Macbook for gestures rather than the screen - Jonny Ive always had a thing about people touching the screen.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    COGBABY and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Apple at least since Tim Cook took over is nothing if not incremental . After having now spent time with both the IOS 15 betas and Mac OS 12 betas, our sense is that Apple is making big changes to the "infrastructure " for lack of a better term to both OS's which will then enable them tor then add significant features in the future.

One good example is full native NTFS support in IOS. On the surface that simply makes working with Windows backend infrastructure easier and more secure. But it also could provide hooks for other things such as a more robust file manager app either from Apple themselves , or more likely as a hook for 3rd party vendors to incorporate that functionality in their own apps.

However, I've said in several threads here, but it bears repeating here as everything we have found to date adds confirmation to it, but if anything the Mac is headed more toward IOS than the other way around.

COGBABY and Chris_Kez like this.