M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

;)

[​IMG]

COGBABY and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

You know, in this instance an apt anagram of “courage” is “our cage”. But it sure is a wonderful captivity!

COGBABY, dstrauss, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

One man’s prison is another man’s paradise walled garden. ;)

COGBABY likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The more I read and watch reviews of the M1 ipad Pro, the more I wonder if it is a year EARLY on the Apple schedule. It's almost as if Apple had to go with the M1 because there's no fab capacity for an A14x, which would be a slightly neutered M1. It could be that it is iPadOS 16 or 16.5 that is going to make the iPP the smallest MacBook in the toolshed.

Still, I'm going to keep sticking to my dreams and hope Tim is not quite as evil as I portrayed above, and we at least get that external monitor support and the ability to run apps separately on the iPP and that monitor. With only $200 between the iPA4 and iPP 11 at same ssd and cellular, I get TB4, 120hz refresh, double the RAM, and 5g (yeah, right, as if 5g will ever come to this neck of the woods). That's worth $200 to me even if it is a wasted experiment as a laptop substitute (not replacement).

@Marty - hope you bet early in the M1 pool...worst of all is everyone KNOWS I won't stop at the 256gb model...:confused:o_O:rolleyes::eek::D

5. dstrauss

[​IMG]

COGBABY and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's kind of the conclusion we came too after testing both the 12,9 and the 11.
    It's been awhile and it's more typically the opposite these days, but this looks like the hardware has gotten way ahead of the software.

To wit, unless you need a specific feature of the Pro like the AR cameras, the current 4th gen Air is a much better buy for the large majority of customers.

That display on the 12.9 though....:D

COGBABY and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

Oh, I understand completely, but being the stereotypical moth to a flame, I'm doomed I'm afraid...

I am surprised at myself for not lusting after the HDR screen - but I think it is more a case of having decided long ago that I want the smallest and lightest device I can live with, and that leads to the 11" size category - not even sure an iPad Air Mini would turn my head anymore.

COGBABY likes this.
  8. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

9. dstrauss

I WAS TOTALLY WRONG IN THE IPADOS 15 POLL...

I couldn't have been more disappointed. NONE of the basic features I really wanted from the M1 iPad Pro were there, AND the nail in the iPadOS 15 coffin was Universal Control - I don't think they will ever relent and give iPadOS 15 real external monitor support - and that means iPad is only one of now FOUR screens you should/must buy from Apple to have a fulfilling walled garden experience (iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone). A pure money grab. More than ever it looks like the M1 was NOT an engineering choice but a concession to the processor market - easier to put out more M1's than foundry an A14X...

No new Pro level apps; no Mac OS apps; no file manager improvement; no true external monitor support - it is just an "ecosystem" of necessary complimentary devices that you must own. Not a SHRED of harnessing the M1 chip in the iPP. Even huge Apple fanboys like Max Tech recommends returning your M1 iPad Pro - like I am doing...

[​IMG]

F*** you buddy - you burst my dream one too many times (like Microsoft)...

Speaking of which, Microsoft, are you going to screw up on June 24 too...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was a little disappointed with Todays Key note as well....however I am somewhat interested in that Universal Control thing, about being able to use the trackpad/keyboard across multiple devices. As someone who uses a M1 Air pretty much exclusive with the 12.9 iPad Pro in sidecar...there have been some specific instances I've had where I wished I could run something separately on the iPad, but thru iPadOS , and not MacOSx/Sidecar, but always preventing me from doing so is having to forgo the keyboard/trackpad control from the Macbook. So when Apple unveiled that specific piece of functionality, it honesty felt like they tailored that right to me.

dstrauss likes this.