M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Eltos

Eltos Pen Pal - Newbie

You know, I hadn’t really thought about it, but yes my fanless M1 MacBook Air is rather cold. I guess I will like it more in the summer? :D

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Microsoft should capitalize on this by doing what Apple did to them for over a decade and make a Pro X advertising campaign painting the M1 Macs as a breeding ground for new virus and malware, while the Surface Pro X is virus free.
    "The Surface Pro X, So underdeveloped not even hackers would touch it!"

5. dstrauss

Bravo my friend, BRAVO!

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Apple may have opened a can of worms with this one if any of these newfound vulnerabilities extend to iOS. Besides, maybe the reason Apple is so opposed to opening their platform to installing apps outside of the App Store is their lack of confidence in their hardware security? After all, the ongoing prominence of jailbreaking is proof alone that their hardware security is not ironclad.

7. dstrauss

But compared to the swamp that is Windows where you need multiple layers of malware, virus, and ransomware protection?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It's got quite a bit better in recent years where basic Windows Defender is good enough for most people. Most viruses I have encountered these days seem to hit people doing stupid things, like stooping to pirated "warez" which is why I tell friends to just be honest and cough up the cash for their software. In fact, within the last year, perhaps in hackers' joyous anticipation of major influx of macOS users, we've seen macOS ransomware and malware popping up. Truth is, hackers go where the people are because that is where the money is so if macOS one day becomes the market leader, we'll see that turtle cooked and peeled there too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Following up on my Microsoft cloud app issues, I hit my tolerance limit today when I had a speedy connection (relatively, for the boonies) and my Outlook email still errored out with a “no internet connection” message. This stuff happens way too often. So I spent the time to switch all my major and most used accounts to my iCloud email. It never has any problems serving my email unless I truly have no usable connection. :mad::mad:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    dstrauss likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Good luck Ted - I know stuff like this just drives me nuts...:confused:

dellaster likes this.