M1 Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I always had Bootcamp set up as well but I found that it was rarely any better for real world tasks than Parallels. The only downside was that they’d require a new paid version of Parallels yearly with each OS update. So, $50 a year back then.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Quick heads up on the M1 Macs and TB docks. Initial tests with what we have on hand are that its a mixed bag. The more Mac friendly vendors fair best, with the OWC working fine and the Belkin after a firmware update also working.

The glitch with the Belkin is that you need either an intel Mac or a PC to update the firmware at present. The mac based firmware updater at present launched on the m1 but can't locate the dock.

The docks from the PC OEMs faired far worse. The Air didn't recognize either HP dock we had at all. The Dell was recognized, but video doesn't work.

One ominous sign is that we contacted HP and their answer was succinct.... "We don't support Apple products with our docks

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, the anticipation is killing me! (I'm already on the verge of jumping into a Apple Store :p)

1. Have you had a chance test Sidecar drawing with the M1 build of CSP yet? Over wifi, how is the latency and stroke shape/pressure fidelity compared directly running on the iPad?

2. Is navigating around MacOS in Sidecar with pen only, a workable experience (similar to the early Windows 7 tablet PC days)? Touch is limited to scrolling and pinch gestures?

3. Does Sidecar support portrait orientation (ie. 90 degree rotated on the MBA screen) so you hold the iPad in 'clipboard' mode?

Inquiring minds (about to go fruity) need to know! :)

darkmagistric and WillAdams like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have not downloaded the M1 build of Clip Studio, and I'm not sure if I'm going to. I already own like 2 windows license (that I'm using on well more machines then I should), and I have it on my iPads so I'm already kind of paying them enough, can't say I'm looking too forward to plunking down another license for the Mac, especially when I likely won't use it too much. And the iPad build works well enough, I can't say there would be much incentive to really draw over sidecar or hook it up to a Cintiq. Maybe I'll wait till the next time they have the $20 sale.

But back to sidecar...I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work over USB-C, I thought it was but it was actually using it over Wifi. Been a little busy and haven't had much time to tinker as I would have liked this past week. But over Wireless I did try drawing/sketching in Sketchbook it seems to run silky smooth as first, but has occasional lag or stutters. Probably a limitation of the Wifi, once I figure out how to get it running over USB-C I'll give it another crack.

That being said, everything but pen usage, the Sidecar functions perfectly over Wifi, well my home wi-fi anyway. I haven't taken it to coffee shops or used in in public wi-fi networks yet. I'm still somewhat hesitant to joining the flock and assuming the full mantle of the Mac user at the coffeeshop. Although all my devices, Mobile Studio Pro, Zbook, Galaxy Book, & Surface Pro 5 have all been referred to by the general populace as "What a cool iPad" I feel it would be wrong to be rocking the actual Apple Logo. A decade of drawing and using a multitude of Windows devices and then only to succumb to the dark side in the end.

sorry, back to Sidecar again, navigating by pen is workable, but I haven't done it much. Touch is weird, it kind of works at times, and kind of doesn't at others. Its probably more of setting/menu thing I'm missing, need to play around with it more. And as far as Portrait mode...I will test out the next time I sidecar.

6. darkmagistric

Update....so for Sidecar Mode - no go on Portrait mode, I can't seem to find any setting to enable that.

Now for those upset over the Macs being only able to push one monitor. You can indeed use it in conjunction with Sidecar to get 3 working monitors. One USB-C monitor and one Sidecar Monitor. With the 13-inch Air/Pro, the 12.9 iPad Pro is the best suited iPad for this since it has roughly the same screen size.

I also tried connecting my Mobile Studio Pro to the M1 Mac Air. The Wacom driver downloaded but it doesn't seem to be working. The Mobile Studio Pro was fully useable as a Monitor, but Pen/Touch would not work. One thing that was really weird...my Asus Zen Touch USB-C monitor could run off either its own battery or the Macbook via the USB-C connection (which is how it should operate). However when I paired the Mobile Studio Pro to the M1 Macbook Air....it was the Macbook Air that was receiving power from the Mobile Studio. Its direct USB-C to USB-C connection treated the Mobile Studio Pro as a Power pack (or an outlet). I only let it charge for a few seconds so I'm not sure how much it would actually charge if left for a while, but I def wasn't expecting that.

Also to note the USB-C to USB-C cable that comes with the Macbook Air as part of its charger, is only for charging the macbook air. The cable doesn't transfer video. So to use any USB-C monitor, you would need to use a different cable.

And here is a pic of the Macbook Air pushing both the iPad Pro 12.9 and the Asus Zen Touch USB-C monitor. (in front of my 4-monitor desktop rig. My background image I felt offered a perfect contrast to the default apple background for the purpose of this photo)

macs.jpg

Kumabjorn, JoeS, Marty and 1 other person like this.
  7. Marty

Thanks, dark!

I noticed with other remote-PC drawing apps, the wireless experience drastically improved when the network had no traffic. Maybe do a test at night when nobody's on, after a fresh reboot, and see if that helps with the lag spikes.

Is it possible to rotate the display outside of Sidecar first, then connect the ipad?

I'm not sure if this might help actually you, CSP has a promotion to for their old PC license users to get a reduced subscription rate.

The subscription covers 2 or 4 seats, good for any device, including MacOS. So basically you could probably roll all your Apple/Android devices into one reduced subscription, while also using your permanent PC license on your ZBook.

(Another option of course, is just using the M1 build in trial mode. ;))

8. darkmagistric

The lag is def not a traffic issue, For the past two weeks I've been the only one on the network.

As far as rotating the display outside of sidecar, that is also a no go. If you have the iPad set for portrait mode, once you enter Sidecar it automatically enters landscape mode. You can't even rotate it to inverted landscape.

I've looked at the subscription service, but I'm unclear if that's 4 new ones or if it absorbs one of my licenses into it. I have the admit subscription service is somewhat confusing, more so when you factor in previous purchases before the current subscription model.

update - figured out how to connect it via USB-C. It weird, over Wifi the iPad and the Mac don't need to "Trust" each other, but for a wired connection, there is an additional trust verification in the finder app. Glad to report over Wired Sidecar, using both Sketchbook and Medibang Paint, there is no lag whatsoever. Something however still feels little off...I think its due to having that annoying Mac Cursor that sits on top of the apps own cursor, it looks jarring and is kind of distracting.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 11:07 PM
    Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

I meant rotating the MacOS display first, then connecting to the iPad and starting Sidecar in mirror mode. I remember my old iMac had the option for portrait mode, so maybe the new MBA has that option too.

There were some free utilities to hide the MacOS cursor. Not sure if they work on M1, but maybe they could help.

The IPP is so close to being a Cintiq replacement...if we could get this working, I'm almost certainly converting to the dark side with you. :)

I believe it is a new subscription linked to your ClipStudio account that activates any CSP install you log into. So you wouldn't need the direct iOS sub for your iPads after switching.

But don't quote me; I'll keep a lookout for more definitive info and report back if I find something. (Anything save some hard-earned pennies, right? ;))

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So just a footnote about something I discovered yesterday,

I still have one of the original hard drive 5GB iPods with FireWire that was a Mac only device. The battery is shot in it, but it still boots up and runs when it's connected to its power adapter.

Of course the music that's on it is ancient so...

I decided to see if I could connect the iPad to the ASI air I'm testing. So after a dongle hell cable combo including a firewire to TB adapter, a TB to TB2 etc. I finally was able to physically connect it.

And after downloading a software update to the iPod and one more restart,......

Success !!! it mounts and lets me manage the music :)

Amazing! Though I seriously doubt you could do that with anything 3rd party that out of date spec wise.

@Marty I'm not going to get involved in the app side of the discussion you are having with dark, but if you want the best side car experience either WiFi or direct connect, at the moment you want an ASI Mac and an a14 iPad which at this point is only the Air.

Things like pen and touch latency were the lowest, albeit we are still trying to sift through what we know about various other combos.

But... a 16GB Mac mini, and the New Air, hmmm :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    Marty likes this.