Low Windows Experience Index

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Noah Richason, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah Richason

Noah Richason Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my 4220 with the 2.4 processor, 2 gigs of memory (a single stick), and when I set the computer to high performance (or any performance level for that matter), my windows experience index is only a 3.0, based on the graphics subscore (Desktop performance for windows aero). The gaming graphics subscore is 3.3

just to be complete,
    processor: 5.3
    memory: 4.7
    primary hard disk: 4.9

A reviewer on another site, with a 2.2GHz and 1 gig of ram (2 sticks) had a windows experience index of 3.5 (both graphics and gaming graphics subscores were 3.5). Does anybody know why my score would be so much lower.

I don't think it matters, but I have the sxga+ display (the other person had the xga) and I have the 160 GB HD, he/she had the 100 GB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

No, this does not affect the benchmark numbers as I get the same 3,5 ratio on my SXGA+ X61t as others get on their XGA versions. But of course real world performance is affected a lot, precisely almost by a factor of 2, reflecting the pixel numbers.

3. Noah Richason

Something else I found interesting; though I didn't buy this computer for gaming, I installed Company of Heroes on it and it actually works quite well. Then I tried to install COH: Opposing Fronts and it wouldn't even install. It says it requires shader model 1.1, and says I have shader model 0. I am pretty sure the x3100 supports shader model 4. I doubt this has anything to do with my low windows experience index though.

4. flanders

flanders Pen Pal - Newbie

My T4220 with the 2.2Ghz proc and 1GB gets an index of 3.5 so I wonder what is up with yours. I have the XGA screen too.

5. Noah Richason

Yeah, I had a feeling that there would be consistant scores among the same machine (with the same specs), but I am really baffled as to why a machine with slightly better specs would score so much lower on the graphics end. I believe I have the latest x3100 drivers.

Any ideas, peeps. I would be calling customer support right now but I am running a fever of 103.6, and my throat hurst so badly that I can barely talk. A lengthy tech support call would be a fruitless endeavor right now.

Cheers,
    Noah

6. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

My hypothesis is that your ram is only running in single channel due to it being the only stick in the machine. My T4220 had a score of 3 when I only had 1 gig of ram in one stick. I boosted it up to 2 gigs and now get something like 3.3 as an index score. Dual channel really bumps up the power I guess. =) I'll even bet some money that it is because of the lack of dual channel capability.

7. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

Also try upgrading to newer driver from the Intel site. These can slightly improve your graphics scores.

8. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, Legato is right. Single stick does reduce performance when CPU and onboard Graphic access the RAM in parallel. For dedicated graphics solution there is no such difference though.
    Get another stick and you'll see your index going up directly. Another 1 or 2 GB doesn't matter, since Santa Rosa chipset can also access asymmetric RAM configuration in dual channel.

9. Noah Richason

I appreciate the thoughts, guys. I had intended to add another 2 gigs of memory eventually, and I will post any improvements in the index. As for the driver, I did go to the intel site but I think that I do have the latest drivers.

Regardless, this machine handles graphics quite well, for the most part. Photoshop runs fine. Corel painter (the demo version), on the other hand, will freeze the pointer after a stroke or two is put down, but I maybe a driver update will fix that. Overall, I am quite pleased with the computer. The sxga+ screen is brillant, and I am very pleased with the battery life (my modular battery seems to bounce around in the housing, which is annoying but no biggie).

Now if I can give a piece of advice ... get your flu shots!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.