Low-resource drawing app recommendation

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by yodamiked, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies if this question has already been asked and I’ve simply missed it.

Looking for a drawing/sketching app for my new Samsung Galaxy Book, but one with minimal resource usage.

I was playing around on Sketchbook Pro the other night, and not only did it cause the back of the device to get uncomfortably warm, but the battery life dropped substantially. Mainly looking to do just pencil sketches and some inking. Anyone have any suggestions?

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Probably Sketchable.
    But wouldn't simply be easier to move the performance slider on the battery icon all the way to the left?

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Paint Tool Sai? Probably the lowest usage art app ever. The Book is Windows, right?

WillAdams likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

um....Sketchbook Pro is already fairly low as far minimal resource usage is concerned. Back in the early Win8 days....it was really the only program runable lag free on those old clovertrail tablets like the Thinkpad tablet 2. I too have the 10.6 Galaxy Book.....and it runs Clip Studio Paint for about 3-4 hours...and it performs just as well as any Core i5 device as far as performance is concerned. It does get a little warm on the back, but I think that would be the case in most any usage honest given the device doesn't have a fan. How long did your battery last you?

WillAdams likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just checked out SAI's development site. The lone wolf programmer is still at it! His most recent 64Bit release came out just before the New Year. It's blindingly fast. And the core program is only 5.2 Mb!

Still in beta and you need a license to save files (which means you need to buy the original version?), but if it ever gets released, I think it's going to impress people.

The first thing I noticed was that it doesn't include the nagging problems ClipStudio Paint has been having on my Win10 machine with Wintab or Windows Ink! It draws cleaner on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro than CSP. Dang! What looks to me from my cursory overview to be the best brush engine in the world (for inking) is still in Beta.

Anyway, people can download the technical review copy here:

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/devdept.html

I'm going to copy this post into the Software section.

6. yodamiked

Still getting used to Windows 10, and to be completely honest, this didn't even cross my mind. I usually crave performance over battery life, but I guess while sketching I don't really need to have that slider the other direction. Kind of a 'duh' moment I guess haha

Hadn't heard of Sai, but will check it out. Thanks @thatcomicsguy for looking into where it's at currently. Sounds promising!

I didn't track it closely, but I'm guessing around the same (3-4 hours). Was hoping for a little bit more, but I might be dreaming. I tried CSP briefly on my nSP m3, and it wasn't super smooth, but I should probably give it another go.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

to that.....using the pen and pressure sensitivity add's stress to the CPU and will drain the battery faster. Like if I'm just typing in MS Word I could easily get 4-6 hours of battery life.....but drawing is more complex computationally then typing....but this is really the case with any pen system.

Now the thing about the Surface Pro........its ES/Ntrig tech....one of the drawbacks of that pen tech is its more CPU dependent.....more so then EMR like in the Galaxy Book. This was more of an issue with really weak systems.....like the older Cherry Trail Atom mixed with N-trig was pretty damn bad. Shog even made a video comparing the Cherry Atom/Surface 3 to the M3 Surface Pro 4 and it was night and day. But that was still a Core M3....the nSP with an even more recent Core m3 should run fine with the pen. But in any case, the Galaxy Book 10.6 works great with CSP.

yodamiked likes this.
  8. 2blackbar

2blackbar Pen Pal - Newbie

http://speedypainter.altervista.org/
    You can have huuge brush sizes with it and it wont lag, it was fastest working on my x201 dualcore where i could get half screen brush size and it wouldnt lag.
    Gimp is quite fast as well, medibang paint, firealpaca was fast as far as i remeber , krita was a bit laggy,photoshop too, but old photoshop 7 worked fine.

yodamiked and Marty like this.
  9. yodamiked

Sounds interesting. Will have to give it a try.

2blackbar likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is a nice and speedy little art application. -Though, it limits canvas size so you can really only make graphics appropriate for the web with it. If that's all you need, then it looks great!