Low Brightness Screen back-light Flicker

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by islou, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so I sent back the 2740p two times. The first time, they replaced the monitor. The second time, they replaced the monitor and the system board.

It's still doing the same (ie, switching between light and dark images resulting in change of brightness).

I'm not going to send it back again because it'll take another week and it's such a hassle without a laptop. Half of my term has already gone by without my laptop.

This problem is really weird because you guys are getting brightness fluctuations randomly (even when the image is static) and more frequently. Mine always occurs when there's a change in contrast and sometimes (but rarely) when an image is static (ie reading a paper).
    I can't say that the service is bad because it's much faster then what fujitsu offered. The product is not bad, however, I really expected that a $2000+ laptop should be able to not change brightness randomly because even netbooks are capable of this.

2. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

I didnt notice any of this behaviour without intel drivers installed. Those damn Intel IGP drivers seem to account for a lot of the display problems.

Just food for thought. Try downloading some linux distribution (ubuntu,kubuntu preferred for easyness) and see if it does the same (because for me theres absolutely no gradient banding, backlight flicker) or any other bull**** when running something else than windows.

3. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the older Intel driver that Lehto posted in another message thread and it seems to have taken care of the flickering and contrast issues with my screen. S for now it looks like my problem may have been fixed. Anyone else that is having similar problems with their screen flickering/contrast issues may want to consider trying an older driver before they go through with the hassle of returning their notebook for service.

4. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

I found out yes its a driver issue. I just uninstalled the intel driver and the problem is gone. I found the older drivers for 32bit but it still does the same.

OK, now I found out what the problem is. In the intel graphics properties, go into power features and unclick the Display power saving technology. Doing this will stop the random brightness fluctuations.

5. ken2010

ken2010 Pen Pal - Newbie

Concentrate - you're a genius - it worked like a charm!!!

you have to make sure you're on battery power when you do it

---go to control panel
    ---'click' intel graphics and media icon
    ---'click' power tab on left of window
    ---'click' power features on left
    ---click dropdown for 'on battery'
    ---uncheck box

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

HP sent me a new machine, and this new machine seems to have no issues at all... But to play it safe, I have followed the above dirrections. No flickering as of yet. :)

7. repray

repray Pen Pal - Newbie

Yay, the flicker problem is gone after unchecking the display power saving option.

8. mohamed_kholidi

mohamed_kholidi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Every Body I had the same problem but i fixed it after unchecking the display power saving option.Now I have another problem if i put a slim battery and in 2 to 0% of the second battery i found flicker problem please i want to know what can i do and if i have a bad thing in my mentor please tell me because I'm very worried . thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.