Low Brightness Screen back-light Flicker

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by islou, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Not exactly. What I'm experiencing is similar to that, only occuring randomly regardless of background and rapidly repeating.

I was unable to reproduce what you are experiencing though, so I'd say you do have a defect.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This comment refers to more than just the screen flickering, but this seems to be the most popular "congregating area" for conscientious 2740 owners with repetitive problems.

Is anyone else having the feeling that BZ has it nailed: this 2740 is just not a stable product? As I see more and more people with the same circumstance as mine - 3-4 replacement units - I wonder if there isn't a message there. There are two aspects that, I think, somewhat seduce one into continuing to try:

1) Most of the problems either don't occur or aren't detected when you first fire up and start to use the machine

2) The form factor, keyboard, flush screen and overall usability is so nice, you just don't want to give that up.

Final observation: Having now gone through 2 TM2s and 4 2740s, and having gotten into "the guts" either literally or through reading service manuals and posts here, my tentative conclusion is that convertible tablets are far from being as simple as taking a regular notebook form factor, putting a couple of layers over the screen, attaching a hinge between the screen and base and, voila! you have a convertible. Rather, the electronic complexities of dealing with the digitizer layers on the screen and the mechanical complexities of the hinge design, assembly and stress from use all make the business very tricky. You're looking to see if I have an actionable answer to these observations, yes?

Although I do have one (last!) 2740 coming at me (felt obliged, after they were so nice about taking back problem units and re-shipping new ones), two options seem the most sensible, though of course both involve tradeoffs:

1) Though I haven't owned or used them, Lenovo and Fujitsu convertibles seem to be more robust and stable and, not coincidentally, they've been making them and selling them in some volume for a good bit longer than HP. Both mfrs have plenty of problems noted on their respective threads, but I sense the % of owners with terminal problems and multiple replacements is a fraction of the 2740 experience. They are also more expensive, but there may be a message there too ;) .

2) over the next 3-12 months, a vast array of pure tablets (one piece, ala iPad, but I'm only referring to form factor here) and that design would appear to be far less complex - and expensive - to design and manufacture with higher successful yields than the clamshell convertibles. I don't think anyone here will be satisfied with the current crop of Android/iOS models, but I think the next wave, due out over the course of 2011, will have more Win7 based models with more power, ram, storage, connections, yet still be cheaper, lighter, more power efficient than convertibles. Though not quite as convenient as a one-piece, if tablets of these kinds have just one feature - a good "kickstand" on the back - using them with a Bluetooth keyboard should come very close to duplicating the convertible experience, but the tablet experience (multi-touch and inking) are likely to be as good or better and the units are likely to be, again, cheaper, more reliable and more power efficient.

One last step (and this is just an hypothesis here, feel free to disagree): since these magical tablets I promise you for next year don't help you now. My suggestion: if you have an older convertible and were hoping to replace and upgrade it with a 2740 or even competing Lenovo/Fujitsu, instead stick with your older model for now, invest a little in repair or upgrading ram, HDD, etc, or, if your's is shot or you were buying your first-ever, check out these pages used listings and eBay (especially the Fujitsu refurb store) and spend well under $1,000 for a 2-3 year old Lenovo or Fujitsu (even a TM2, but don't pay more than $600 and make sure it's returnable; other than limited viewing angles, the non-defective ones are really quite nice and will do you fine as interim tablets) and deal with the power/storage deficit (won't effect note taking, many graphics apps, web surfing, MS Office stuff) and wait for the tablets coming over the next year, then re-sell the convertible on eBay - they have surprisingly little depreciation.

Q.E.D. Well, not really at all, but for the non-mathematicians I am just indicating "that's all folks!"

3. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I dont have a good enough video cam to lock Auto exposure etc it is ever so slightly visable on this video I just captured:

YouTube - 2740p Backlight Flicker Problem (Very hard to capture watch carefully)

I don't think it shows how bad the issue really is but it kind of explains what's happening.

I'm glad its the panel and not the board. Thanks for clearing that up its important to know.

Lovelaptops, touch wood, other than the terrible service from HP themselves and this flickering issue the laptops been solid. I know that's going to bite me in the a** but I think its possible we represent the small base of consumers for this and fact is, people without these issues wouldn't post here. (This is starting to sound like someone justifying one of those relationships that blatantly will never work ! I hope its not so, shes just so hot and nice to touch :p)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems that your flickering is more annoying. I've contacted HP and they said that they'll have a look at it because they don't know if it's the panel or the graphics card thats the problem.
    I asked if they could send a demo unit or something because I really can't be without a laptop for 7 business days and they said they wouldn't be able to do that.

5. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok. I realized my problem is a software/driver issue. I reinstalled the machine and it stopped doing this. I'm not sure what driver is doing this though.

It's odd because I installed 2 copies of win 7. 1 is on a spindle HDD and the other on a SSD (newer). I noticed the problem after I installed the SSD, so I thought it might be a driver issue since I used new drivers from HP in this new drive and the cd drivers for the old HDD. I remember that the screen did not seem to flicker with the old HDD.
    So I took out the SSD and put in the HDD to see if it was a software issue and the flickering began.

Today I decided to reinstall win 7 on the old HDD so I would send it back to HP. I used the new drivers and now I don't see the flickering. Maybe I should wait a few more days.
    -------------------------------
    UPDATE:
    Spoke too soon. The flickering is noticeable with a gray colour for some reason. With pure white and black, it's hard to tell (maybe because eyes are still adjusting).
    The color I'm talking about is this websites colour. Scrolling down a little down this website, the colour changes alot. I'll upload a new vid on youtube about this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. repray

repray Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone find a solution to this problem other than replacing the display panel? I have just received my new 2740p and it has the screen flicker problem too. :(

Debating whether to return it or not. Sigh.

7. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Afraid not :( Its really not ideal.

I've been pretty much up against it since I got here so I haven't actually spoken to them but I'm struggling to see how it can be a "fault" on so many models.

Will get back as soon as I get a chance to talk to HP.

In the mean time with the slice I can get away with running the display at 50%.

8. repray

repray Pen Pal - Newbie

Please keep me/us updated.

I do love the form factor of the Hp 2740p, and everything else seems to work fine at the moment.

Incidentally, what other known "defects" should I watch out for (besides those in the sticky)? Better find out sooner rather than later.

Ray

9. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Im not sure if its a defect or a limit of the display but my display seems to do heavy gradient banding. Just as if my PC was set into 16bit color mode. Gets very annoying when you have to work with colors.

10. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

I received one of the earlier batches of 2470p "smart-buys" and have had good luck with it over the last few months. I have however noticed flickering in the screen over this past week or two and have on occasions have had total color wash-out - it looked like the contrast had been turned-up way too high. This flickering is persistent and irritating. With all the postings here I have to also agree that the 2740p is half-baked or the sourcing of components is really poor. It hurts that I paid $1600 for this. Looks like I'll need to call HP support for a warranty repair. I really wished I had waited and gone with the Lenovo X201.

Anyone asked for a refund for a 2740p that you have had for more than 30 days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.