Low Brightness Screen back-light Flicker

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by islou, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2010

ken2010 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!!! I'll let you know what happens.

2. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I'm getting this issue as well. I just switched to an ssd, so this could be the problem. Another factor could be the new graphics driver or any of the new drivers.

When I set my backlight to the lowest level ande then switch from firefox to my explorer (any folders), the display gets brighter just slightly. When I switch back from my folders to firefox, the display dims down again.

This is all with the light sensor switched off.

3. big_zippy

big_zippy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Islou,

Good to hear you finally got your 2740p. For the brief time I had my WK299EA model (with SSD) I too noticed the screen flicker. At the time this was less an issue than the lack of touch screen and I returned the machine for a refund. At the time I suspected a loose connection causing the flickering but clearly it is a feature. So glad I got the Lenovo X201t instead, screen is stable. sharp, and bright, with good colour reproduction. Can't help thinking the 2740p (as a 2710p reworking) just isn't ready. Great form factor though!

BZ

4. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry I haven't been back guys moved up to uni and the internet was down for 3 days.

Well first thing, it really is bad, its no longer minor for me.

In lectures I have the display dimmed to just above the bearable flicker (about 40 - 45%). Even this is too bright as the lecture halls are dimly lit for projectors etc. Now when the laptop is left for a few seconds and it auto dims the display it looks like I'm having a personal disco or watching die hard.

I think homek may be onto something. It did seem much worse when the battery was full.

BZ after waiting two months and spending what I consider is a fair bit of money for a laptop in this day i'm still feeling unfulfilled and pretty pissed.

That said other than the back-light now the machine itself is solid, fast and a pleasure to use.

Do you guys think I can coax HP to send out an engineer to me to replace the panel ? I'm worried that if I send it to them I'll spec myself up a lenovo and tell them to keep it.

5. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's what I suggest.
    You're a college student, like me. Explain to them that you don't have the time to play around with sending the machine back and forth.
    Be nice and curteous, and ask if your warranty will allow for an HP engineer to come out and do a repair. if not, ask for a self repair (For them to send you the new display panel and for you to do it yourself). It's very easy to do yourself, and not nearly as intimidating as you might think.

Otherwise ask for a replacement unit to be mailed to you and for you to send the defective one back upon arrival.

Again, be nice over the phone, and they'll work with you.

6. homek

homek Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    I got my 2740P replaced. It is a non-touch model. The flicker disappeared. Now the VGA out does not work. Grrr...

7. doebeli

doebeli Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I habe the back-light flickering even when brightness is at the highest level :-(

Not all the time, it's coming and going :-(

8. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Cheers Incitatus, I've replaced a fair few laptop screens. I think I'll give that a shot. I'm always generally nice to people on the phone unless I'm faced with blatant disregard but its always handy to know how they have treated these issues in the past.

Got some time off on Friday, may give it a shot then.

BTW an observation made. I'm convinced I saw it on the Pre-boot authentication screen flickering which has convinced me it is likely the panel to blame. The question is, is it a feature of the panel or a fault. Is it possible that there is this many defective panels ?

9. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

it is definitly a fault. I've cycled through 4 elitebooks in the past month and my current one is the only one I've seen do this.

After swapping panels between units to solve another issue I was experiencing, I can also confirm that it is restricted to the display panel itself, it's not in the system board.
    One 2740p had the flicker, it seemed to go away. I took the display panel from that unit and swapped it with that of another unit. The display flickered, regardless of what machine it was installed on.

As far as the 'how to' I followed the service and repair manual to the letter, and photodocumented everything. (Which I posted HERE )

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so I uploaded a youtube vid HERE.
    Is this the problem you guys are having?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.