Low Brightness after standby in tablet mode

Discussion in 'Asus' started by leewalk, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I just noticed an annoying behavior with my R1F and I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

I am running XP, and Windows power saving (no power4gear). When I am in Tablet mode with the power adapter on, and the system goes (or is put) into Standby, when coming out of standby, the screen brightness is dimmed (like if it was in power saving mode) and does not go back to the brightness I had before the standby. It does not do that in normal laptop mode (screen open). This forces me to manually raise the brightness back every time I come out of standby, which is kind of annoying as I can barely see what is on the screen and have to lift the screen to use the Function key for brightness.

I have installed the latest Intel driver, but it made no difference.

I would like to know if others are having this problem, and if anyone has found a solution.

2. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having a similar problem. Everytime my screen goes blank (I have it set to turn off the monitor when on battery mode every minute) my brightness goes back to a very low level. Every time this happens, I have to change the brightness level. It is very annoying. I have tried to go into the Tablet PC settings, but my brightness portion of the display tab is dimmed out so that it cannot be changed. If someone can tell me how to get this so it isn't dim, I think this woud fix the problem.

When I change the brightness, the little box up in the left hand corner comes up then fades out. What progam is this? I am guessing that if I can turn off that software I might be able to get it to work properly.

In addition it seems that I only have this problem when it is in tablet mode.

3. scrambler

The brightness setting of the Display tab in Tablet and pen Setting gets greyed out when the manufacturer installs their own power management application, which is the case with Asus Power4Gear.

The problem is that when removing Power4Gear, it should reactivate this option, but it does not. There might be some registry entry that does not get put back the way it should, but I could not find it.

4. DustinGreen

Do you suppose that an upgrade to the BIOS could fix our problem? I have never perfomed an upgrade on my machine and I have not heard of anyone else having issues with this problem besides us.

5. ant

ant Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a similer problem, when i close my lid down and let it sleep, when it wakes up the screen is so dark that you can barley see anythingon it and you have to hold the power switch for ages till it turns off.. it is definatly still runing because all the little lights turn back on from the pulsing (sleep) light

6. scrambler

DustinGreen: I have been upgrading he Bios until 309 but no difference. There is a 310 out, but I doubt this is the issue, as looking at the lack of feedback on this post, it does look like no one is having this problem....

If really no one else is having this problem, it may be a SW combination issue, may be I'll try reinstalling power4gear and see what happen. By the way, do you still have power4gear, or did you remove it ?

Ant: You may have a different issue, if your screen stays completely black after resuming from standby. This is a problem that others are having on the forum, and I sometimes have it myself (but not always). When the screen does stay black after standby, I found that pressing the screen rotation button to switch the screen rotation, does usually turns the screen back on.
    If your screen is not fully black but dimmed (as described in my original post), are you able to raise the brightness using the Fn + F6 keys (brightness up function key)? because I am.

7. DustinGreen

I am still using power4gear. I uninstalled it; I had the same problem. I then re-installed it and saw no difference.

8. DustinGreen

I am really thinking about breaking down and buying Vista today. I wasn't really wanting to but I am guessing and hoping that this will solve the problem. For me it is becoming impossible to use my computer in tablet mode. I'll be happy when all of the little problems like this and my battery problems are fixed. It is really becoming annoying. I can't use my computer effectively. If I end up installing vista, I will let you know if it is a fix.

9. scrambler

Let me know how it goes. I am starting to think the same way, except that I am still waiting for my Vista upgrade to ship...

10. DustinGreen

I have installed Vista. It was a real hassle to get everything going. I have been sitting at my computer for many hours now. The bad news is that brightness is not being controlled by Vista settings. However, they are not greyed out anymore. F5 and F6 still control the settings. I have been unable to find any sign of Power4gear on the computer except for the fact that the box in the upper left corner still appears and disappears. One good note is that brightness levels when on battery power is good. It only dims slightly, but I haven't played around with tablet mode enough to see if there is a difference. I have been trying to figure out what drivers I need to install to get my screen rotation functioning again (both with the button and when you flip the screen around). I still need to play with it a little bit more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.