(Lots of) T732 Questions

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by cookies4you, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking of buying a T732 with Windows 8.

I've had hands on experience with ThinkPads (T, X, Edge), EliteBooks (27XXp), and Latitudes (an old one), but never have I ever used a LifeBook.

I considered the T902, but the lack of an ExpressCard slot turned me off.

With one, I can connect an eGPU should Ivy-bridge ever fail to meet my needs.

I'm not really excited for Haswell, seeing as it brings insignificant GPU improvements on the ULV front (15-30%, standard voltage Ivy-bridge is still stronger) and a battery boost which can easily be mitigated with the help of the expansion bay.

So here are my questions:

1 - How is the build quality when compared to the ThinkPad T60, or X220T? Is it flexible or rigid? Neither matter to me, since I've seen both used as a method of durability. I just want to know the overall feel and how well the machine has been constructed.

2 - Is the screen made of plastic or glass? This determines whether or not I can add a screen protector. I've got a slight case of OCD, so scratches do matter somewhat. While I've gotten used to it because of my DS and 3DS, it's nice to know whether or not you can prevent them.

3 - Does the pen scratch the screen with regular usage? If it's plastic, I'm more than willing to give up appearance for accuracy (loved that EliteBook), even if it'll bother me a bit. This extends from the glass or plastic question.

4 - I know that the screen can handle touch-input, but how does it handle multi-touch and its gestures? While I enjoyed my time with my cousin's wonderful (and old) EliteBook, the Metro UI seems to work better with a finger than a pen.

5 - I've read something about Fujitsu "going cheap" on the screens of their older machines. Does this also apply here, or does every machine get the same LCD panel?

6 - Is there an open mSATA slot? I'd like to buy an SSD at some point in the future.
    *Oops, I meant mini PCIe, not mSATA

7 - Fujitsu states that the keyboard is spill-resistant. Is this anything like the ThinkPad version of the said-feature, in which water is channeled out of the keyboard? If not, then how does it work?

8 - I've heard reports about Wi-Fi issues. I'm a fix-it-myself kind of guy, so I was wondering if I could manually replace the wireless card/unit if I ever encountered problems. If anything, I'd like to avoid having to ship it back to Fujitsu. It's easier just to order a Centrino card myself if I had to. If it's a flaw with the antennas, then we have a problem.

9 - Other than the fingerprint sensor not working and hit-or-miss pressure sensitivity, are there any major problems with Windows 8 on this machine?

10 - If I bought a T732, would my hypothetical lover get jealous and murder it while I was sleeping?

As I mentioned before, this will probably be my first experience with a LifeBook. After this, and about 3-4 years of slowly raising my budget, it's off to ToughBooks for the extremes.

Who wouldn't want a product that breaks you when you try to break it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the same reason I chose the T732 over the T902. I don't know if it is eGPU compatible though, as the TOLUD is above 3.25gb. However with Windows 8, apparently the TOLUD is dynamic? I'm not sure on this, I will have to investigate.

The T732 uses a full voltage processor so will get the GPU benefits of Haswell. Note that any T732 replacement (T733?) will only become available probably November this year at the earliest. Fujitsu take their time when upgrading their tablet line to the latest Intel chips.

Have you had a look at my T732 video review thread?

It is very good*. This is a business class machine, with the expected level of quality. The keyboard is good with good travel with no keyboard flex (but not backlit). The chassis seems rigid enough.

*However my particular unit came with WiFi dead out of the box and took two months to fix. I live in the UK and it was collected by UPS and sent to Germany. There was a long delay as they ordered replacement parts from the USA (I bought mine from Fujitsu USA). Took about two months from sending it to getting it back - painful because Haswell chips had been announced just as I got mine back and I had only purchased it in March.

Don't know, there is a plastic layer covering the screen, not sure if this is simply an anti reflective semi-matte layer or something else.

I haven't used the stylus much, but where I have applied heavy pressure (the screen is pressure enabled), it hasn't left scratches at all.

It handles pinch to zoom, haven't tried any other multi touch gestures.

I'd expect every T732 to have a wide angle panel - I dont know what kind of panel is used in mine, but it is likely to be IPS. It is a screen you would expect on a tablet and one of the reasons I chose to get a tablet PC; when video/photo editing, I need to know the colour I'm using. I don't want it to change when I move my head up and down.

I think the expansion slot on the bottom is mpcie, not msata. The slot is empty and I'd expect it would fit a WWAN card, but possibly only ones whitelisted by Futjistu. But the T732 can fit two hard drives if you buy the hard drive mounting kit. I'm not aware of any other 12.5" notebook that can take two hard drives. Note that the modular bay kit appears to only fit a 7mm drive, not a 9.5mm. The main bay takes a standard 9.5mm drive though. I am going to try cut a hole in the modular bay kit so a 9.5mm drive can sit flush.

Don't know, haven't spilled anything. I'll look for drain holes at the bottom when I get home.

According to the repair report, the mainboard and wifi card was replaced. The wifi card is not replacable via a service panel, and I don't know if the mpcie slot is unlocked to allow the installation of any wifi card. Even if you could, I don't think the wifi antennas stick out from the mpcie service panel, so you wouldn't be able to attach antennas to your wifi card.

None that I'm aware of.

No, the T732 is an understated sleeper of a machine. No one else appears to realise how good of a machine it is! For me, it is almost perfect. The resolution is a bit low and it is still a bit thick and heavy.
    But if you look at the bottom panel, it really is incredible how much they have managed to cram into such a small footprint; the area of the motherboard appears to be slightly larger than your hand.

The touchpad is also excellent; you only notice a touchpad when it has issues. My work issued Dell Lattitude has two finger scrolling, but it isn't smooth and sensitive like on my T732 or a macbook.

I paid about $1770US for mine from Newegg including shipping and import taxes. Mine was the preconfigured XBUY-T732-W8-001 with i5 3320m. This configuration doesn't appear to be available anymore, even from Fujitsu USA, only the i5-3210m and i3 units.

Given Fujitsu is 8 months through their tablet pc lifecycle, if you can wait another 4 months (November), you might be able to get the Haswell refresh.

3. utopian201

One other thing is that the T901 appeared to suffer from throttling issues when CPU was at 100% (also the T902 as well?). I find when I max the i5 3320m (eg video encoding), it boosts only up to 3.07ghz for the entire duration (~30-45mins) of load. However for short spikes, I think it does boost up to 3.3ghz. This then suggests the heat dissipation isn't quite able to handle 3.3ghz permanently.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The T902 throttles the iGPU only. Which has turned out to be VERY common with ultraportables in the Ivy Bridge gen. You can run the T902 CPU at full throttle (turbo) forever it seems. I push this thing constantly and it's never failed to maintain the 3.4 - 3.6 ghz (depends on how many cores are being utilized) when it needs to. It's probably very likely that the T732 would also throttle the GPU to its base frequency (650mhz) often when utilizing CPU and GPU at full voltage for longer than 40 seconds or so as well. (Have you tried gaming on this thing yet Utopian? I would be curious to see the results of sustained iGPU stress) Intel considers turbo a "boost" though, so to expect that the turbo will infinitely stay on isn't what they intended, however the thermals on the T902 at least allow it on the CPU side, just not the iGPU side. The slates and smaller systems tend to struggle with maintaining the turbo speeds for extended periods more with less thermal head room. the lighter smaller you go, the more likely thermals will become a greater issue.

5. utopian201

I've gamed with Civilization 4. There are no slow downs, but the fan goes on constantly. I don't have a utility to check the frequency of the GPU though.
    I'm pretty sure the GPU and CPU cores shared the TDP, so if the cpu wasn't on full, the GPU should be able to go to maximum boost. It doesn't make sense for it to be able to keep the CPU cores at a constant boost, but unable to maintain a constant GPU boost. Unless both the CPU and GPU are being boosted, then perhaps intel chooses to boost CPU at the expense of GPU in order to stay at the correct temperature.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Actually manufacturers have a lot of freedom to set it up however they please, sadly as they are usually way more conservative than they need to be. If manufacturer decided thermals are reached (80-90 degrees is the usual trigger for something to give) they often prioritize the CPU and just drop the GPU back to base frequency to keep thermals down, and then spike it up again when the it's cool enough to try again. I've monitored them, and other systems with the same ivy bridge innards, and they almost all favor CPU over GPU. It can easily sustain the GPU at turbo if the system was able to keep the core cool enough, but often it can't so the GPU drops as a result. It's only ever evident if you are working in 3D or intensive gaming.
    When you played Civ 4 for over 10 minites, did you have a fps counter up top? It's possible it was dropping frame rates at regular intervals (say from 45fps average to 25fps average) without you knowing since civ 4 with low settings is relatively easy for a full voltage HD4000 to handle.
    If your ever curious to see whether it is jumping from turbo to base or not, it's easy to monitor the GPU clock rates and log them while you play a game with the free program "GPU-z". It can be interesting also to see how your system is comparing with other machines across the spectrum with futuremarks "3Dmark" the top one, not "3dMark11" Download 3DMark and PCMark - Futuremark

7. cookies4you

Decided to go ahead and order my T732.

Mine's coming with these specs:
    - i5 3320m
    - Dual digitizer
    - Webcam
    - Bluetooth 4.0
    - 500 GB (7200 RPM) HDD
    - Empty modular bay

As of July 15th-19th, I will be the 2nd (3rd?) confirmed T732 on this forum.

8. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

The T732 is very interesting. I am especially impressed with the modular battery option. That would bring the total battery capacity to 100 Wh, the highest I have seen anywhere. Just one additional question, is it possible to replace the hard drive with an SSD drive? The Fujitsu site says that an SSD is an option, but I have not seen any model that has an SSD.

Thanks, Jim

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What is battery life like, with the standard battery option? And to those who have use it, how does the screen compare to the X230t(or 220t if it's the same screen)? Thanks

10. cookies4you

With the brightness at 50% (ideal for me) and power-savings mode on, I can get around 5 hours of battery life while using Wi-Fi for surfing.

I could probably stretch it to 7 hours using ideal settings, and even 10 if I had the modular bay battery.

I only got to use an X220T for a short amount of time, so I can't really compare the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.