Looks for my first tablet...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Noods, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Noods

Noods Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for my first tablet to facilitate some functions I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is your budget?

I prefer a tablet under $600. If I find something I love I don't have budgetary limits.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I prefer a standalone tablet. However I am basing my choice on functionality so I am open to other options.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

7.1 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Hoping to get 8-10 hours as that seems to be the upper end of battery life limits at the moment.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

-Streaming high definition video up to 1080p
    -Social media
    -Internet surfing
    -Maybe some gaming

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I use Google fairly frequently but I am open to anything.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

I typically use Firefox and Chrome for browsing. Having access to the Microsoft Office suite would be nice. The ability to play videos via a program like VLC would be great. A tablet that is open to program installations would be so that I could use whatever programs I preferred, install video game emulators, etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

I am not expecting to play anything intensive. A tablet that would support video game emulators so that I could play older games would be nice.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

I am not planning to stream.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

A resolution on the higher end is preferred.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Probably a little, yes.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

At least 32 gigs is preferred.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Having HDMI would be preferred. I would like to have a tablet that supports USB - at least via a dongle. It seems that USB use via tablets is fairly limited at this time so I am not quite sure about the necessity of having full access to USB devices is necessary. Maybe someone can advise me on that.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

-A customizable "desktop" layout would be preferred.
    -3g/4g support would be preferred
    -The ability to stream HD video is paramount

Thanks! :D