Looking to Purchase M700 in Australia

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Blaze1248, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Blaze1248

Blaze1248 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I'm ready to purchase a Portege M700. The problem is that I'm in Australia, and we often have longer lags and lead times for new and cutting edge items.

Is there anyone else out there (in the forums) from Australia who has one? And who know where I can get one?

The other problem is that I'm looking to write the notebook off on tax, so I'll need a ABN number?

I'd prefer a fully spec-ed M700, and not one of the stock/off the shelf ones. Are there any distributors who cater for Australia, specifically Melb?

Regards,
    Blaze

2. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Hi Blaze, I purchased a pretty standard one from Melbourne about 3 weeks ago now. If you read the Has anyone got a M700 (or something similar) thread there's a few Aussies who also have it. I'm in Colac. So if you'd like to see an M700 I could pass by as I get called in for Linux Support to Melb every now and then. I'll try and find my receipt and fwd the details your way.

Will upload pics of the guts next time I open it. As I want to pull it completely apart and confirm location and how to get the to RAM just bellow the keyboard.

Hoping this helps,

Harrowed.

3. Blaze1248

Hi Harrowed,

Thanks for that. Yeah, I read the "So, does anyone have the Toshiba Portege m700?" thread, but I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Yeah I have a local computer store who I normally go through to get all my computer stuff (desktops and laptops) as they are family friends, but they just checked today with their distributors/suppliers and they said that it might be too new to get it yet.

Colac huh?, I'm on the other side of town, but thanks for the thought anyway. I've currently got a Toshiba tecra M4 and I'm pretty happy with the Toshiba Australia Technical Support and their build quality. But thanks anyway.

If you could let me know where you got it from/receipt details that would really help.

What spec did you get? I was thinking of maxing everything out, because I only replace my laptops every 3-4 years. Have you upgraded anything since (RAM, HDD, internal modules)?

Thanks again,
    Blaze

4. andrewpc

andrewpc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

I too, am keen to get the M700 in Australia. Do you know if it can be sourced locally and where from? If not local, can I order it from overseas anywhere. Toshiba Direct doesnt seem to ship to Aus.

Thanks

Andrew

5. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Andrewpc :: Where are you located? If in Victoria then you can source in Melbourne.

6. andrewpc

andrewpc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Harrowed,

I am based in Sydney. Can you provide the name of the store? Do they do mail or internet order? The only other real option at the moment seems to be from the US:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/

as they do have it (albeit on back order) and can ship internationally...

Andrew

7. Blaze1248

Hey Guys,

Harrowed passed on Computelec as a possible source (thanks Harrowed), and they generally sell through schools.

However I just got an e-mail this afternoon stating that their stock is commtted until mid-Feb.

Regards,

Blaze

P.S. Harrowed, how did you find out that Computelec sell M700s? Is there a list of distributors/sellers?

8. Blaze1248

Status Update on my search:

The Toshiba M700 suddenly appeared on the URL="http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/"]ISD toshiba website[/URL] today or yesterday.

The specification on the website only has the T7500 processor, touch screen, no 1Gb turbo memory and "...Windows Vista Business (OEM) with Windows XP Pro media downgrade..."

Does this mean that you pay more for the XP downgrade but if you want Vista you get it anyway?

When I called them, they said that anything other than an RAM upgrade would void the warranty (i.e. processor, hard drive, etc.).

9. Complexis

Complexis Scribbler - Standard Member

From another person that is Canadian, it is included and you don't pay extra for the XP downgrade, however the M700 with Vista costs more than the M700 with XP. Most likely some of the extra costs with the Vista version is due to including the XP downgrade.

You guys are lucky as in the US, the M700 with Vista costs the same as the M700 with XP, so when we choose the M700 with Vista, it does not come with an XP downgrade CD.

10. Blaze1248

Hey all,

Another Status Update.

I've been referred by two Tableteers to Portable One

Portable One is a site that is able to ship customized M700s internationally (or more specifically to Australia).

In looking further, I've done a little cost comparison between purchasing from stores in Australia and Portable One, as follows:

Now I'm intending on getting a fully spec-ed M700 (T7800 Proc., 4Gb RAM, 1GB Turbo Memory, Touch Screen, 120+GB hard drive, Bluetooth, Emerg Pen, 3 Year Warranty, Vista Business/Ultimate).

In Australia, Harris Technology sells the M700 at around AU$3,850 with T7500 Proc., 2 (1Gb+1Gb) Gb RAM, No Turbo Memory, Touch Screen, 160GB 5400rpm hard drive, Bluetooth, Emerg Pen, 1 Year Warranty, Vista Business w/ WinXP downgrade

I was also planning on upgrading the hard drive to a 200Gb 7200rpm (AU$195 + AU$50 Labour) and purchasing a slice battery (AU$248).

This brings the total cost for a lower spec-ed M700 to AU$4,343 (or US$3,734) excluding delivery/pickup costs.

From the Portable One site, the following spec is available:
    T7800 Proc., 4Gb RAM, 1GB Turbo Memory, Touch Screen, 80GB hard drive, Bluetooth, Emerg Pen, 3 Year Warranty, Vista Ultimate for US$2728.

Ivan from Portable One gave me a quote of US$190 for a hard drive upgrade to 200GB 7200rpm, and the price of the slice battery on the site is US$189.

All up the total US cost will be US$3,105. Adding 10% tax, the total is US$3,415.50.

This converts to AU$3,970.74 plus delivery (which appears to be roughly US$50 or AU$59).

This represents a AU$400 saving over purchasing here in Australia for a lower spec, plus Portable One's offers includes an International Toshiba Warranty and International Theft Protection.

I know where I'll be sourcing (and not sourcing) my M700 from.

Summary:
    Portable One (estimated) cost: US$3,465.50 (AU$4,130.74) including delivery
    Local cost: US$3,734 (AU$4,343) excluding delivery

Regards,

Blaze

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015