Looking to buy...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billb

billb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy a tablet PC. Price is indeed a consideration. I'll consider older, discontinued units as found on Ebay and other places as well.

I'd like to drive a digital projector (NEC LT158) using Powerpoint and play movies (usually short videos).

The NEC projector does allow use of CompactFlash memory cards to do JPG copies of Powerpoint presentations, which means that I haven't needed a separate PC. But I really do miss those neat wipes and fades that one gets with full Powerpoint shows. Don't shoot me! :eek: ! I'd also like to show those videos on the projector.

Thus, having a DVD player built in would be helpful. Though a separate DVD might be acceptable.

Also, I'm looking to do some map updating using a GPS later this year. I'd like to carry the existing map with me onto the trail on a tablet, so I can make notes as I go. I'd have a GPS antenna plugged into the tablet. It would be great to see the current path overlaid on top of the existing map.

And, I'd like a tablet/slate to show photos to friends.

Any ideas here?

Bill B.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Bill,

You've described everything you are seeking in a Tablet PC. It is a shot in the dark though to recommend anything without an idea of your budget. How much do you plan to spend?

3. billb

billb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Barry,

Admittedly, I'm cheap! :)

I'd prefer not to buy something brand new here. However, I'll consider all options. I'd like something for $1500 or less. But I'm really looking for options, thoughts and reviews here.

I've been reading the reviews on your site and others. These have been helpful. But I'd like to see if anyone else is doing something similar to what either one of the things that I'd like to do.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Happy Trails,

Bill B.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Bill,

If I understand it then, you are looking for a "slate" form factor in your Tablet and want a desent amount of power and a DVD drive. Here are two challenges:

1. Slates generally cost more than convertibles.

2. Slates are very thin and light, therefore you will need to purchase a seperate external DVD drive or docking station.

However, I see two possibilities in the Slate formfactor that you can buy NEW in your pricerange.

Take a look at the HP TC1100 (with the Celeron M processor) and the Motion M1400C (Celeron M). Please don't be shy'd away from the Celeron M. It may carry the "Celeron" name as the past chips, but the Celeron M is actually a Pentium M with 1MB of level 2 cache as opposed to a 2MB level 2 cache. What that mean in "real world" performance is that in 90% of daily computing tasks, you will not see any noticeable permance differential. The only drawback is about 1/3 less battery life than the Pentium M.

If you decide to go with a convertible Tablet PC, we can talk about many more options. Based on your needs, I would lean towards the convertible formfactor.

Barry

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was thinking about the TC series as well. The TC1000 would be another possibility depending on your cheapness, lol.

6. billb

billb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I've been looking at the HP TC 1100 and 1000. I haven't considered the Motion model though.

I'm confused if these HP's can be used without the keyboard which is sold with them. In some cases, I'll want to leave behind the keyboard and just go with the slate. I already use a Wacom pad on my home PC, so I'm sort of (not very though!) comfortable with using a pen.

What about models using convertible form factor? I realize they are a bit thicker and heavier, but they are more versatile in that the keyboard is always around when you need it. Also, they probably have a CD or DVD drive built in where the tablet more than likely would not.

Barry, you offered some choices on the convertible. I'm biting! :D

Thanks again for the help.

Happy Trails,

Bill B.

7. Brian

In the convertible world, the Toshiba M200 is a really nice choice, but is getting harder to find. The R15 isn't bad, but the weight might be an issue for you.

8. billb

billb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Brian and Barry,

I meant to mention earlier that I'm intrigued with the Acer C300/310. This series has the built in CD/DVD drive. The only concerns I have are the weight, and perhaps size.

Any thoughts?

I guess we'll have to end this thread soon, so you can go back to better things! :)

Happy Trails,

Bill B.

9. Brian

Hah, happy to help. The Acer looks very nice, but it's hard to tell since we haven't had a chance to see it yet. We're going to a show on the 28th though, there's a chance we could catch it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.