Looking to Buy Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Benjamin Chin, Oct 22, 2007.

1. kilasnpr

kilasnpr Scribbler - Standard Member

ok ive been looking around to see what would be a good tablet for me. Basically im looking for a tablet to take notes on. Also maybe, some little photo editing. but for the most part school work. The price range for me would go up to but not above 1400 dollars. Some of the laptops ive been looking at would be:

HP Pavilion TX1320US
    HP Pavilion TX1220US
    HP Pavilion tx1000

I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on these laptops or other recommendations for my needs. Thanks all.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To give the guys a better understanding of what you are looking for kilasnpr, please copy and complete the questionnaire from here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

The HP Pavilion TX series only have passive touchscreens. By this, it means that you have to maintain pressure against the screen for it to register. This is not the case with other tablets with active digitizer screens which register with the slightest contact.

HP has a model of such good feature but that is the more costly HP 2710p in the business series, not the budget Pavilion series. This model does not have the usual touchpad but uses a trackpoint like in the case of ThinkPad X series. Also, it uses low-powered processor running at 1.2 GHz, which is slower than the ThinkPad X61T running at 1.6 GHz.

Given that you intend the tablet for writing, the active digitizer screen is appropriate to reduce your frustration.

With passive touchscreen, HP Pavilion TX users have bad experiences that the screen just is not sensitive enough to capture lighter strokes in handwriting and that such passive screens are more difficult to calibrate accurately. Screen color contrast has also been criticised as washed-out and grainy under strong lighting condition. Can you tolerate all these ?

The HP Pavilion TX series is a budget series; you pay less but get even lesser in return.

For HP brand, I would suggest you look into tablets in the premium business series.

Depending on market, for roughly the same price as the HP 2710p you can get a generally better Fujitsu LifeBook T4220. This is a highly responsive tablet, very sensitive, very fast, very well made, very portable, good battery-life, no battery protrusion, and yet performs as a powerful notebook with harddrive 3D shock-sensor and spill-resistant keyboard. It has the Intel Santa Rosa T7500 processor running at 2.20 GHz --- it's the best overall tablet so far --- plus good customer service to top it all.

rgds,
    Benjamin Chin
    21 Oct 07.

4. kilasnpr

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Up to 1300$$

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Ultra mobile. or as light as possible need it to go around from class to class

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? United States

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Dont have preferences but I like the style that the HP have.

6. How many hours battery life do you require? By the minimum 2-3

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? Take notes in class and maybe little photshop editing but not much. Also just regular college work. writting papers and such, listening to music.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Vista.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Vista, itunes, photoshop, microsoft word, just the works.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    if so only startcraft and some counter strike 1.6 but not really.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? Doesnt matter.

2. What resolution do you prefer?

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance. Indoor/outdoor sometimes like to do work outside.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    active. just because better accuracy.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    wabcom again need accuracy.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? at least 80gb hdd and at least 1gb ram

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? yes dvdrw

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    if possible but at the top of my list.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Im going to be taking a lot of notes so some tablet that has good recognition would help a lot.

5. kilasnpr

that futjisu sounds good can I get some info on that

6. Benjamin Chin

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you are referring to the Fujitsu T4220 it is without doubt a great Tablet but is outside of your price range.

For $1300 you really should be looking at the larger Gateway C-140X.

However, try Fujitsu's ebay store. They do a lot of sales and you will find some great bargains available.... Certainly a T4215.

8. kilasnpr

could I get some details on advantages of getting fujitsu and if possible some other sites where I can buy one from around my price range, (new/used does not matter) Oh and what would be a good processor speed to get (im not all that caught up with the whole core dual thing)

9. Benjamin Chin

It is not just enough to know about the advantages, we need to see both the pros and cons from as objective viewpoints as possible.

There are 4 independent reviews in this link :
    http://www.notebookreview.com/reviews/default.asp?productFamilyID=994&brandID=6

Please note that there are users' reviews included in the above link and their specs may even be below the specs given in the Fujitsu official website I gave earlier above.

In these independent reviews, you get to see performance benchmark comparisons to convince yourself.

At present days, we are looking at processor speed of 2 GHz and up (amongst other factors) for a high performance notebook.

With respect to possible avenues to get this tablet notebook at better prices, may I suggest you put your posting in the Fujitsu forum. (This is a HP forum anyway.)

In the Fujitsu forum, you will find more users living in your vacinity who will be in the best position to advise you on routes to the best deal possible. (I am in Singapore.)

I wish you luck in your endeavour.

rgds,
    Benjamin Chin
    21 Oct 07

10. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

problem with active screen is that you can only use the pen
    no option to while installing some big program and it requireing a click
    on next
    you doing it with your finger or a headbut :p

unless the metal plate in your forehead have the same function as the pen :p