Looking for Xmas Presents for Teenagers, Need help

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by crappyone, Dec 4, 2010.

1. crappyone

crappyone Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for Tablets for my 2 Teenagers for Xmas.
    Was originally going to just get them Kindles, then saw the Nook Color, then saw the price. So that's when I thought about getting them used/refurbished Tablets.
    Wanted to get them something color since they like to read comics and mangas also. Plus they are also interested in D&D and figured they could use it for that.
    So I'm basically just looking for something with a good enough screen for them to read off of, but I'm sure they'd like to do more on it if they can.

1. What is your budget? $200-$250/Each preferably $300 max/each if I absolutely have to, but don't really want too

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? absolutely, that's what I'm planning on

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Not sure. Whatever they can read and write on. But honestly don't know the differences.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? Compact - Mainstream. Big enough to make it easy to read from yet not too big and bulky to hold (for a 12 and 14 yr old).

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    * Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 13.3"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? nope as I don't have enough information about them

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Doesn't matter, it'll be used inside house by outlets mainly.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Reading Comics, Manga's, D&D Books, Surfing net, maybe playing Emulators, Some Sketching probably and notetaking

9. Do you have an OS preference? XP Tablet or Win 7 (something they are familiar with)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    PDF Readers, Firefox, whatever games it'll run, maybe videos
    10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. They would like too, but that's not why I'm buy it.
    Roblox is what my youngest loves, so if it plays that, it's a bonus.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer? Not sure what Resolution. Whatever works to read from. If XGA is good enough to read PDFs from then that will work.

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight? Not really, sure they'll be using it indoors more often than not
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? Not sure, whatever is easier on the eyes to read from

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive) Would like, but doesn't really matter

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig) Would like

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Atleast 60GB HDD, and would like to beable to upgrade to 2GB RAM if possible.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? No doesn't matter

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I'll be ordering them (whatever I choose) this Wed. (12/8).
    I've been trying to research this stuff myself, but didn't think of getting these for them until very recent, so I'm running out of time. So I'm turning to you guys for help.

I was/am looking at the TC1100 right now. That or a Fujitsu p1510D (even though I think the screen might be too small for reading Comics/PDFs), or the 4020, 4220. Something like that. Basically the best Tablet deal I can find for around $200-$300 each.

2. violajack

violajack Pen Pal - Newbie

If touch is more important than an active pen, the Fujitsu 1510 is the way to go. I have a TC1100 and love it (and my teenage students are all quite interested in it) but it is pen only. Older tablets generally only have either an active digitizer (meaning it only sees the pen, not fingers) or a resistive touch screen (meaning it sees anything that presses on the screen, including the palm of your hand when you try to write with the pen). The accuracy is much better with an active digitizer (like the TC1100), but a resistive touch screen can see finger taps as well as the pen tip. If your kids will only write a little, but mostly want to read and be able to swipe from page to page with fingers, a resistive screen is the way to go. If they will write a lot, or really enjoy drawing, active may be a better choice. The TC1100 also has a convenient jog dial to do the scrolling so you don't have to pull out the pen just to turn pages.

If you decide they don't need the accuracy of the active digitizer, another resistive touch based device to consider would be the Asus t91mt, the mt is important as that's the multitouch model. It's on Amazon new for just above your price range ($360) but it's been around long enough for used deals to pop up on occasion.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know what I'd do?

I'd make choosing part of the gift itself.

You could go through the search and research process together with your kids. It can take a few weeks to really dig into such a project, and it would be a great learning exercise involving the need to work within a fixed budget as well as really getting to know how the giant squirrely garage-sale of the internet works, all from a safe environment with the guidance of a parent.

You'd also have the opportunity to teach both patience, (a more intriguing deal ALWAYS comes along if you wait), and restraint, (sites like eBay can be addictive, yet they are a big feature of our world, and so it pays to learn some coping skills).

I know as a kid, I would have loved to have that kind of opportunity, trying to pick out all the features I wanted but still stay on a budget I could never have otherwise afforded on my own.

I really enjoyed and learned a lot from my own father doing stuff like that. You could start the process a couple of weeks before Christmas with the understanding that they probably wouldn't have a device in hand on the big day, and just put a couple of small gifts under the tree.

Good luck!

4. crappyone

Thank you for the replies.
    I'm not sure if they would mind using a pen. I would think they wouldn't mind just for the simple fact that they have Nintendo DS's and are used to using a Stylus for those.
    Plus I like how the 1100 has a bigger screen than the 1510 and I just think that would make it easier to read from, but I honestly have no idea.
    I just don't really know what's out there. I've never looked at buying a tablet before.

For having my kids involved with the process, well that is a great idea, but that won't work. First off cause we're doing this to surprise the hell out of them. Second, I know what they want. They want their own laptop that can play all the latest games, but we don't have that kind of money and that's not why I'm buying it. We have a couple PC's to play games on and a Laptop.
    If I let them help choose they won't be happy with what I can afford for them, but if they just receive these as gifts, it'll surprise them enough to where they will be happy with them, lol.

Again thanks for the replies. Also are there any Brands or Models that I should not get or watch out for?
    Or should I just just buy them a cheap iPad clone off ebay?

WOW 150 views and only 2 replies. Thanks for the help you 2. Too bad there wasn't a more active Tablet community somewhere.

5. keene1

keene1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish you had received more than 2 replies, as well......I am kind of in the same boat as you are, but the "gift" is for me....I am contemplating the iPad (current) vs. waiting for the iPad 2; but the "decision" is based on conflicting info. on whether or not the iPad 2 will have an USB port (important to me). I need to be able to have an electronic book reader, but wanted something more than a Kindle or Nook. I do have a laptop, so I don't really need a notebook...again, wish you had received more responses....may have also helped some of us others out here.......

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem you are facing is that inexpensive tablets tend to run inexpensive operating systems - Apple's iOS or Android. In the Windows world, you have limited options. My suggestion would be the Asus T101MT. It's a bit bigger, faster, and more expensive than the T91MT (which I have and chose based on portability) but I think you would find it more usable.

It is a resistive screen which has benefits and detriments. Capacitive screens (like the iPad) are more responsive to the touch of your finger but they aren't as accurate. Even the special styluses that are built for capacitive screens have a large surface area. For Windows, this can become a problem as many menus or links on web pages end up fairly small on a tablet. Resistive screens respond to the pressure of anything but they take longer to register the pressure. The ability to respond to any pressure means that pointy styluses with no special properties (like those used by PDAs or hand held video games) can be used which makes the touches much more accurate.

As far as Keene1's book reader, Windows gives you a great deal of flexibility but unless you need that flexibility I think you'd be better off with the Nook Color which improves greatly upon the Nook and does have USB.

7. crappyone

I actually ended up getting a couple HP TC4400's and Fujitsu T4220's.
    Going to test them both out (when I receive), check them both over (since they are used) and see which I would prefer. Otherwise I'll let my 2 boys decide after they receive for Xmas. Then whichever ones they don't want I'll just sell.
    I bought both pairs cause I felt I got a good deal on each pair. Also like I said this way I/they get to test out 2 different brands.

8. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like you found an excellent solution. Perhaps you can wrap the ones you prefer and put it under the Christmas tree as the surprise, and then thereafter explain to them that there is another choice as well if they prefer the other. Perhaps they don't both like the same one :)

9. crappyone

That's actually what I did plan on doing, lol, and yeah I was telling my wife, that they'll probably pick different tablets. But with the T4220 having a better screen (from what I've read) and graphics card/chip they'll probably both pick that.
    I just have to make sure and sell the others ASAP so I don't decide to keep them for myself. lol