Looking for Win10 tablet for sketching on the go and desktop screen "projection"

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bertie, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Bertie

Bertie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    A while ago I discovered that Windows 10 has "projecting to this PC" feature that gave me an idea for a budget graphics tablet: weak hardware with decent screen and stylus support that would be decent enough for light surfing and sketching on smaller canvases when I'm not home but with full power of my desktop PC when I'm there.

Had a chance to somewhat test the idea "projecting" to a friend's laptop that had wacom bamboo connected: pressure sensitivity worked, input lag wasn't noticeable. Apparently, it's miracast, but I haven't found anything about windows 10 "projection" working with Android devices.

As for the questionnaire:
    Budget: up to $450 or slightly outside (excluding shipping)
    Used/Refurbished is not preferred (local classifieds dominated by resellers, ebay feels like getting a cat in the sack)
    Prefer Windows 10 tablet, convertible is an option. I don't think it's possible to "project" to Android.
    Size: 10-15 inches
    Battery life: 6+ hours
    Use scenario: drawing, notes, web surfing
    Intended software: Krita

Screen: Full HD or better, 16:10 or 3:2 preferred over 16:9. Possible outdoors use.
    Stylus: pen with pressure sensitivity, preferably bundled. No tech preference.
    Memory: 4 GB/128 GB or better
    Ports/slots: SD/microSD support
    CPU: post-Atom Celeron/Pentium or better

I understand that media tablet used for graphics has its limitations, but for me drawing is just a hobby and I'm still learning, can't justify the expenses for the "professional tool".

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Bertie likes this.
  3. Bertie

Bertie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!
    (Kurokona was a surprise, I haven't seen Gravatar in years)

Before I made the thread, I have considered Lenovo Ideapad D330. It seemed just right, but knowing the Miix 320 mix up, I spend a night searching only to discover that the only model with actual pen support is the weakest one (and with 800p display). Pretty disappointing.
    Next one was Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TP401MA which might even have a pen bundled, also found it on Wacom Bamboo Ink compatibility list. But it's a transformer, meaning I can't rip a half off 1.5 kg, and I'm not sure about the hinges. Then I ran out of options because marketplaces still don't have good filters for stylus support.

I'm mostly clueless about current line up from Chinese companies, but Cube Mix Plus definitely fits my description well.

4. Bertie

Bertie Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to wait if there would be other suggestions, then got a bit busy, a bit indecisive, a bit distracted and missed the last of the Cube Mix Plus on sale.
    So... is there any model that replaces it? What could be a decent alternative?

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey @Bertie, I found a listing on Amazon, if you still wanted Mix Plus.

It's a bit pricier at $446, but yeah every other Chinese store is OOS :(.