Looking for the perfect gift

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by iamtheknownandunknown, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamtheknownandunknown

iamtheknownandunknown Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Less than $800 (will "consider" up to $1000)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Sure thing

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Don't care, as long as all the other qualities are satisfied

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

8.9-13" (10ish if it's a pure tablet)

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Will be buying in the states

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

3h absolute minimum, 5h soft minimum, 10h preferred

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Web stuff, YouTube, word processing, playing local videos, occasional spreadsheet and presentation type work, light gaming (like Bloons or Plants vs. Zombies and other tower defense games etc), drawing (not necessarily with a stylus)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Nope, though Linux is probably out of the picture

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

See question 8, don't require any specific software just the general categories/abilities.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Bloons, Plants vs. Zombies, maybe Limbo, Tetris, Warp would be nice but not necessary

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Nope

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Would be nice but definitely not necessary.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

At least 65-70GB of usable storage, don't care specifically about memory, whatever is suitable to the usage described

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Ability to transfer files from this device to android smartphone would be preferable, so USB yes, also SD card slot, don't care whether micro or not on either
    HDMI not necessary

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Preferably as light and thin as a macbook air, definitely not as heavy as an old 13" polycarbonate macbook. Preferably has a camera. And a vpn can be used. SSD please.

Getting my partner a new computer, those were his requirements! Now my job is to find the perfect fit and surprise him. I would consider within the same budget buying him a laptop AND a tablet instead of a combo device. In other words, whatever gets him as much of what he wants as possible, one device versus two devices doesn't really matter. Thanks everyone!

2. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

I can only suggest tablet PC with pen.

1) Surface Pro 1 with new Power keyboard would be ideal deal for you.

2) Lenovo X230T and Fujitsu T732 - These two have almost similar configuration. They are convertible tablet PC.

3) There are other options like Fujitsu Q702, Samsung 700T, Sony Tap 11, Sony Vaio Duo 11 etc

Check this link for more details
    index - stylus

BTW are you fan of Donald Rumsfeld?

3. iamtheknownandunknown

Thanks! I strongly considered the Surface Pro 1, sells for a good price and definitely has some attractive features, however, it's out because it is not well suited for keyboard input use on a lap. I should have mentioned that. The Lenovo X230T and Fujitsu T732 are strong contenders with awesome battery life, integrated keyboards and hinge allowing for actual lap use, and while older tech they would be capable of doing everything he wants while being light enough. I'm concerned with those he might want something thinner though, he was definitely drooling about the thinness of the Macbook Air. And, they are certainly at the very height of my budget. Fujitsu Q702 looks like the best fit of the bunch. Powerful, moderately thick, long battery life, keyboard attachment providing lap-top functionality, touch and stylus ability.

Donald Rumsfeld, wuhh? lol

4. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

You can also consider ThinkPad Yoga on Microsoft Store. You may get it cheaper there. Older TPY model may have Image Retention problem. If you want to use these tablet PC for at least next 3-4 years then it should have 8GB RAM.

Other options

Sony Multi-Flip 13A - This may have FAN Noise issue

Fujitsu T734 - newer version of T732 with good battery life due to 4th generation processor

Fujitsu T904 - Way too expensive

5. Dr.BoDanglez

Dr.BoDanglez Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a recommendation to consider. Although I know you're asking for tablet recommendations, give a few minutes to check out Chromebooks to fit your tablet needs. Check out the Acer Touchscreen 11.6 Chromebook. My sister has one of these that she uses for light lounging and general web usage. Whenever I use it I dabble with the touchscreen and think it holds up quite well. I tried a few board games on it using its touchscreen features. Its coo. The fact that it's around the $350ish mark is pretty awesome too.

Amazon.com: Acer C720P-2666 Chromebook (11.6-Inch Touchscreen, 2GB): Computers & Accessories

6. iamtheknownandunknown

Thanks! The reliance on web-apps and cloud storage would make a chromebook a definite no-no.

ykvishal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.