Looking for tablets similar to Galaxy Note 10.1...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Diabolicbutterfly, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Diabolicbutterfly

Diabolicbutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Budget is around $500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yep, of course

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Preference goes to android

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10-13 inches
    Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Irrelevant

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    As an interactive 'look book' in the salon, diagramming hair styles and cuts, taking notes.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Android

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    All kinds, Nothin is off limits :D

Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Not important

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    None

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I like the note 10.1, I had one a few months ago but had to return it due to personal funds at the time. I'm looking in the market again for a tablet the same as or similar to the note 10.1, which means it needs some sort of active digitizer for input. I would consider a windows tablet as long as it isn't too much more than my budget and is very light weight.

2. inferno7799

inferno7799 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting....I didn't hear about the Excite Write yet. Can't tell if that's a Wacom pen or one of the newer N-trig pens. but it looks like it has an eraser would indicate Wacom.

Aside from that...the only tablets that would really be comparable to the Note 10.1 price and size wise are the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and the Dell Latitude 10. Both are 10.1 screens like the Note...but they use a 16:9 ratio instead of the Notes 16:10.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a Wacom pen for sure. In fact, it looks exactly like their Tablet PC pen they've been using since 2005, right down to the clip.

I'll be interested to see how much A15 does for the pen responsiveness over A9, even if it's a bit moot since even if A15 bring the pen responsiveness up to par with Clovertrail Atom, the art software available will take years to catch up to what's available in Windows...

5. DaveOnBass

DaveOnBass Scribbler - Standard Member

If you would like Windows, don't overlook the Surface RT now that they're dropping the price (16gb $349 or something like that). I tried out a Surface Pro for a couple days and, while it was a bit too heavy for a tablet and a bit too small for a notebook, the RT I believe is lighter weight since it doesn't need the power of the Pro. It's either 10.6 or 11" 16:9, and I have to admit I even liked the Touch cover (no moving parts on the keys) quite a bit. Of course, the Note 10.1 is still great so you could just grab another of those!

6. seaturn

seaturn Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like "stylus required", kz Note 10.1 has one.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Taking notes with capacitive nub - fate worse than death...

8. DaveOnBass

DaveOnBass Scribbler - Standard Member

My mistake, I suppose I didn't realize the Surface RT didn't have the Wacom; I just thought it ran a lighter-spec processor and a less powerful version of the OS.