Looking for new TabletPC to replace my Surface Pro (version 1)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by NJCommuter, Dec 2, 2018.

1. NJCommuter

NJCommuter Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

My Surface pro has served me well these last 6 years, but battery doesn't hold a charge for long anymore, making it a tethered device, would like a larger screen and the graphics ability to occasionally push a 27" monitor. Have been looking at the Surface Go, Lenovo Thinkpad 10, and Lenovo X1. I believe someone here recommended the X1-2nd addition ( I believe it was DRTigerLilly, but apologize to the author if incorrect). How can I tell what version the X1 is?

1. What is your budget?
    $500 USD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes, prefer manufacturer refurbished.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows TabletPC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 6 Hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Email, Web Surfing, Drawing (more like annotation on PDF's of drawings) Word Processing, Notetaking

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc), Microsoft Office Suite

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

HD 1920 x 1080

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance. Mostly in the backyard relaxing under big trees.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Pen input is important to me. I am not a touch typist, being able to handwrite notes and have them converted to accurate text is important. Some pen to paper resistance is preferable, found smoothness of stylus to glass of surface pro awkward.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    4GB RAM minimum and 64GB storage.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full-size USB and microSD on Surface have been very helpful.

Misc
    I am a long-time lurker on this board and have found it very informative. I hope the expertise here can help me.

END COPY

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

the 1st gen uses 6th generation Skylake processors, 2nd gen Thinkpad x1 tablet would use a 7th generation Kaby Lake processors.
    The 1st & 2nd gen kickstand is also different it folds out behind the tablet to rest flat on the table, the 3rd gen kickstand is more like the Surface kickstand.

I would probably be inclined to also recommend the Samsung Galaxy Book 10 or 12.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. NJCommuter

NJCommuter Pen Pal - Newbie

Processor is listed as Intel Core M5 6Y57 (1.10 GHz) which appears to be Skylake, so 1st generation. Prices are $400-$420 with keyboard and pen, so it is at an attractive price point. I will look at Samsung's also.