Looking for new Tablet PC with Win7 (or downgradable) -- still possible?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by cck, Apr 15, 2019.

1. cck

cck Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been a Tablet PC user for at least a decade: X60, X220, Acer, Fujitsu, X1 Tablet, Currently using a Companion 2 Enterprise Edition (Running Windows 7)

I have to use a Tablet PC to be able to use a computer. Due to 6 nerve release surgeries in both arms from typing, I can no longer use a traditional keyboard or mouse. The only way I can use a computer to get my work done is thru the use of a true Tablet PC interface. Windows 7 is a dream for me. The resizable, movable input panel. Correcting words. I love It. Windows 10 is garbage in comparison (for my use). My Lenovo X1 Tablet is my travel Tablet PC, it runs Windows 10 so I do use it occasionally, and every time I do, I hope there are improvements with each upgrade, but I see none. So I struggle thru work trips and vacations to do simple emails and browsing.

My Companion 2 has been my current Tablet PC for the past 2-3 years. Love it. But I’m getting nervous if it fails so I want to get a reliable backup. I am considering a Mobilestudio16 – but I cant confirm I can downgrade it to Windows 7.

So my question to you guys is… what is the best (spec wise) Tablet PC, I can currently buy, that is either downgradable or customizable with Windows 7 loaded, (A Must), with at least 16G Ram (more better), and at least 13” screen. Are there any left? It was already super hard to find one when I was shopping for this CC2, so I know its near impossible now. I am hopeful there are still some options that I can stockpile.

Price is not a huge concern. Within reason. I’d spend up to $5k each. (Yep) I’m willing to buy a couple of them. I need to have computers I can easily use into the future (and Windows 7 is the easiest, fastest, most productive interface for me with the big limitation I have with my arms.) I use my computer for Outlook, Excel, Word, Photoshop, Sketchbook, and browsing, that’s about it. A slate Tablet is ideal, but one with a keyboard is fine too, as long as the only option isn’t to fold it over facing my knees (i.e. Lenovo)- -because that puts the keyboard in constant in contact with my legs and keys get pushed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't see why any of the modern device won't take a Win 7 fresh install. Driver might be tricky buy win 10 driver technically should work on Win 7 afaik.

My advice is to buy something from Best Buy and try fresh install of Win 7 during 14 day return period.

3. cck

cck Pen Pal - Newbie

I considered doing so but I wasnt sure if that would void the return if the downgrade failed.

Wacom said the downgrade wouldn't work because "the hardware on the tablet will not work properly on Windows 7"

Thanks for your thoughts!

4. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want to avoid voiding any warranties, make a disk image of the factory install before wiping and reinstalling Windows. If it doesn't work, just restore it to exactly how you found it.

Could it work out of the box? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Wacom EMR has actually changed that much, for the most part. Older drivers may not recognize the device ID since it hasn't been added to their lists--though this could possibly be edited in, then you've got the whole "installing tampered with drivers" business. But a newer Feel driver might do the job just fine.

Another option is to find an older device and upgrade it. Look at screen size first, since that's your obvious requirement that's not going to be upgradeable, then CPU/GPU requirements because, while a GPU can technically be "upgraded," it won't be portable after you do that, nor will it have internet while the external GPU is connected, since the hacks I've seen use that slot for the motherboard. RAM and hard drive space (the size of your SSD is very relevant to Photoshop performance, actually) are going to be easier to upgrade, though certain hard limits exist.

Your last option is, can Windows 10 be customized to your needs? I'm not sure, but lots of stuff that's wrong with Windows 10 can be fixed with third party programs. Might be worth seeing if anyone's written anything that meets your needs.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. cck

cck Pen Pal - Newbie

All good ideas, thanks for your time!

6. kingstu

kingstu Pen Pal - Newbie

Panasonic Toughbook and Toughpads are available with Windows 7 as an option. They are on the pricier side but are very reliable. There CF-C2 is a detachable 2-in-1 and though it's small I enjoy it. All their digitizers are Wacom not N-Trig. They have tablets also that are downgradable to WIndows 7 such as the D1. You might want to look soon as even these are nearing end of availability

7. cck

cck Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the tip!! I'll definitely look into them!