Looking for insight.. C-140X Dilemma

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gaidensensei, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

Been lurking on the site for awhile. Initially I thought this was the mother site @ notebookpcreview.com and could not log in after 4 attempts to post, gave up and decided to lurk more. Then I realized they were separate.

I have been in the market for a Tablet for awhile, kept putting it off early 2009 when the lenovo opportunities were going around.
    Said to myself OS jumps will make prices drop, yadda & blah until we're nearing the end of 2009 and today is all about Win 7, uniqueness and upgrading by processor power no longer the norm.

I figure I won't be waiting for Q1 2010 in the new i7 releases - while they might or actually will be much more powerful, over time I had discovered I don't use my portables for cpu (or gpu) intensive operations, those are all done on the desktop.
    An example of this was that I used the Acer Travelmate 4400 (2002-04 AMD64 based era, where 1GB of memory was normal) up until 2008, and still use it for solely xp-based applications to date.

Anyways, to the point - I have been eye'ing a C-140X on ebay right now, running for ~$600 shipped. The seller indicates that these are new factory units that never got sold when Acer acquired Gateway, so they were literally sitting in boxes for a few years, only to be opened late 2009.

Specs are, the T5450, 1GB DDR2 @666 (probably upgrading this), 80GB HDD, not sure of video but I'm going to assume it's the X1300, 8 cell battery, and practically new stylus.

I have a few questions about this purchase.. namely, would you feel that is it worth it?
    $600 is fairly steep seeing as the price is a chunk out of some of the new stuff out there.

But it's a price I'd be willing to pay for solidity, genuineness that it is in fact new out of the box and has no history of usage. There are no other C-140X's being sold around anywhere else I had been looking the past weeks, although there is an auction for an used&upgraded 140XL that is rising past 300 as we speak.

Fishing for some opinions out here, hope all I've spoken thus far is adequate enough.

2. gaidensensei

I also intend to clean out the OS and install Win7 64 on this as well, not sure if this would be an issue but I did see someone mention substantial drainage on the battery life in 32bit vs 64bit architecture.

3. ninetynine

ninetynine Pen Pal - Newbie

What is your intended uses? The C-140X is a 14.1" 6.5 lbs tablet, tablet these days are smaller and lighter. Dont know if that's worth it to you.

4. gaidensensei

I intend to mainly use it for notetaking in educational boundaries, writing chem/biology/science related stuff in times where the keyboard is not enough to suffice and you wish you had a pen.

Yeah, the weight should not be an issue. As long as it's not a 15lb dumbbell I am perfectly fine with anything under 10.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've had complaints from my artist friend that got one of these about excessive parallax. I haven't used one in person, so I don't know how much of that is him not being use to LCD tablets or actual problem...

6. gaidensensei

Hmm, well if this is the case..
    I thought I'd fill in the general questions to see if I can obtain ballpark figures for the other laptops. Primarily I'm trying to understand the true market value of tablets so I can purchase them in that function instead of paying overpriced when I could have gotten an alternative option for cheaper, but missed it since I didn't do all the homework.

If any of you guys could give me what you think are today's figures for an used, but care for like new and has 3-5 more years of shelf life for any these (rounded figures for standard entry level configurations are fine):

Dell XT2
    Lenovo X60t
    Lenovo X200t
    Gateway C-140X/XL
    Gateway higher ranking M series
    Fujitsu T4020
    Fujitsu T4310
    Fujitsu T4410
    Fujitsu T4410
    No HP's, I am not particularly fond of the AMD processors.

That should cover about most of them. I've entered in a tablet world with no knowledge of how much of their market value aside from looking at completed auctions on ebay, and searching here (but with prices from last year or something).

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I have zero parallax on my C-141XL, but on my HP2730P I have a ton. It might be luck of the draw with these Wacoms/Drivers

I got the HP because the Gateway was to big and heavy dragging it around school - especially if your in a crowded hall with small desks. The Gateway however is much better at inking. Its screen feels nicer, is 14" and very smooth. The accuracy is spot on while the HP is lighter, longer battery life but lacks accuracy while writing. I have gotten use to it, but always wish it were a little better especially towards the edges and corners.

P.S. The HP2710 and 30's use Intel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.