Looking for info on tablet for my disabled son

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Becker, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becker

Becker Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    My 6 year old son is physically disabled. In the past he did most of his school work with a pc using an attachable touch screen and an on screen keyboard. Now we would like to buy him something more portable. At this time, my son cannot use a stylus that would be with a tablet.
    I'm trying to figure out if a touch screen could be attached to a tablet display and work as it would on a pc.
    Also looking for suggestions regarding the largest display available on a tablet.
    He has a difficult time reaching over a keyboard on a notebook computer to access the screen for his touchscreen. Since it appears that tablets rotate away from the keyboard, we would like to explore those possibilities.
    Thank you very much!

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First off, you're working through a great challange, as a parent my heart goes out to you.

The problem with Tablet PCs is their screens aren't actually touch sensitive, like a PDA screen, they respond to the special tip in the tablet pen. You're right that the flip and rotate screen would be easier for him to access though, I'm just not sure the input is going to work for you. I'm not aware of any special needs pens either, I'm not sure the market is mature enough yet for something like that. There are a few touchscreen notebooks on the market, I know Fujitsu makes one. Perhaps that is worth investigating.

3. Becker

Becker Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your response. The touch screen my son uses is a seperate unit with its own software that attaches to a monitor. Do you know of any reason why a seperate unit like that can't be attached to a tablet display? I'm just not sure if whatever is in the tablet display that allows the stylus to work would interfere with the seperate touch screen unit.
    Thank you!

4. Brian

Yeah, that's a tough question, you'd be best off to call the manufacturer of that additional hardware to see if they've tested it. Worst case, you can buy from someone with a good return policy to test yourself.

5. Becker

Becker Pen Pal - Newbie

Brian, thank you for your help! It seems as though the system my son needs doesn't exist. I wish some manufacturer would develop something more accessible for disabled people. I appreciate your help, thanks.

6. Brian

7. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

8. blindell

blindell Pen Pal - Newbie

you know, its just a magnet in the stylus that induces an electrical change behind the screen...

it wouldnt be hard to incorporate such a magnet in the finger of a glove... in fact i plan to do just that for a college electrical engineering project (sweet on screen keyboard action with all ten fingers!)

Its such a simple idea, im sure that someone must be doing it.

In the not so R&D department, there are tablets that use actual touch screens, instead of magnetic pens... they arent top of the line or anything, but it may suit your needs.. there are quite a few offbrands, such as this one: http://www.smarthome.com/63011.html

Also, you mentioned something about attatching a touch screen to a monitor. If it is possible on a flat CRT monitor, i dont see why one couldnt just mount it to a tablet screen, unless its wall-powered... (Ive never heard of one of those devices, but im kinda imagining a usb powered clear overlay to go between the monitor and the user)

The thickness of the device may render the normal tablet input useless (its run by electrically sensing the magnetic feild given off by the tip of the stylus), however it may not, again, depending on the thickness. However even if it does, I suppose if you have a touch screen input, it wouldnt matter anyway, you could just as easily use your finger (or stylus for that matter, as a glorified finger =P) on the touch screen

I dont know how a device like that would mount, but the chances of it working would be better on a slate than a convertable, though this could be easily tested by bringing it into a CompUSA and asking nicely. This runs into another problem: slates max out at 12.1" screen size, whereas convertables max out at 14.1" for the moment.

At any rate, I wouldnt get discouraged! Its a wonderful idea you have there, and the technology certainly does exist (tablets, touch screens, etc), just maybe not in a neat package on the shelf yet.

9. Becker

Becker Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.