Looking for beta-testers for a PowerPoint toolbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UPDATE September 2, 2013

For those interested in the subject, the toolbar has officially been released here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/edu...-use-powerpoint-tablet-pc-more-efficient.html

Original post:

Hi all,

I don't know if this is going to have any traction here, but let's try!

A while ago, I discussed how I was disappointed when I bought my first tablet and saw that PowerPoint, which looks like it should be a perfect software for Tablet PC’s, is really not tablet friendly. That realization pushed me to explore different options on how to use PowerPoint on a Tablet PC, and I shared these thoughts here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/46926-optimal-use-powerpoint-tablet-pc.html
    While at that time I was able to come up with a system that was ok, I wasn’t completely satisfied with it so I kept on searching.

In the meantime, I started to learn how to program a bit, and I’ve eventually come up with a toolbar for PowerPoint that is now completely satisfying for my needs. This toolbar allows me to use PowerPoint in a way more efficient manner on my tablet. Among many functions, it allows me during a presentation to quickly switch between pens of different colors, or to add new slides during a presentation, to switch touch on/off. It also has handy shortcuts to Windows functions that are often used for presentations (Connect to projector, Volume adjustment, etc.)

I’ve been using the current version for a while now and can safely say that I can’t use PowerPoint on my tablet without this toolbar anymore!

Before I “officially” release the toolbar, I’m looking for a few who would be willing to beta-test this “unofficial” version and share their comments/suggestions and to report bugs. I’ve only tested it with PowerPoint 2010 on Win 7 64 bit, so at the moment I can’t guarantee that it will work on any other system. While it seems to work perfectly on the three computers on which I've used it, the whole idea of beta-testing is that there may still be some bugs! I'm especially curious to see if it works at all on different versions of PowerPoint and Windows.

Anyway, if you want to beta-test it or if you simply want to try it out, you can download it by following the link at the bottom of this post (I’ve uploaded it in a zip file on MediaFire.com). The zip file contains the installer for the toolbar and a pdf file with instructions and a few pictures. Just make sure to read the brief instructions in the pdf file in order to install the toolbar properly.

While there is not much discussion about PowerPoint on this forum, maybe this will be useful to other users here. In any case, I personally find it useful! Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to share their comments and report bugs.

Download link:
    Installer for PowerPoint toolbar 0.1.zip

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Derson

Derson Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I got error '53' runtime, here on Powerpoint 2013 in Windows 8 pro 64bit.

3. lblb

Hi Derson,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    When do you get this error message? When you unzip? When using the installer? When adding the add-in to PowerPoint? When launching the toolbar from PowerPoint? When clicking on one of the buttons on the toolbar?

4. Derson

Derson Pen Pal - Newbie

When launching the toolbar from Powerpoint.

5. lblb

Thanks Derson. I think I know where the problem comes from (I think it's that one of the files that Win 7 uses is not installed in your version of Win 8). Unfortunately, I won't have time to work on this in the next days. So just look up for an update in a little while. Thanks for your feedback.

6. lblb

Hi Derson,

Do you still get the same error message if you start the toolbar manually by double-clicking on the following file:
    C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint toolbar 0_1\PowerPoint toolbar.exe

7. Derson

Derson Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, if I install it as Administrator works OK, I'll keep testing, thanks.

8. lblb

Oh, that's a very useful discovery. Thank you so much for all your testing.
    So once it's set to run as Admin, does it now run from inside PowerPoint (by using the add-in) or do you still need to launch the exe manually?

9. Derson

Derson Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, now I can use it always inside PowerPoint with this method:
    Go File -> Options -> add -> Administer -> PowerPoint adds (scroll down, second item) -> Go , choose the exe file (PowerPoint toolbar 0_1) and load. That's it.
    Otherwise I need launch the exe first.

10. lblb

Hi Derson,
    Thanks again for all your testing on this.
    I have modified the exe for the toolbar so that it runs as Admin even if you are not logged in as Admin. Hopefully this should take care of the issues you mentioned.
    If you want to test it, you can:
    - Download the following zip file (it only contains the updated exe for the toolbar):
    PowerPoint Toolbar 0_2.zip
    - Replace the original file (C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\PowerPoint toolbar 0_1\PowerPoint toolbar.exe) with the one from the zip file.
    - If you now try to start the toolbar by pressing the button of the add-in in PowerPoint, does it successfully launch it or do you still get an error message?