looking for best choice in digital sketchbooks

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by hyver, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyver

hyver Pen Pal - Newbie

another "what tablet pc should i buy" question.. thanks in advance for your input!

1. What is your budget?
    not really the biggest issue, but of course cheaper is better

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    either, whatever fits my needs

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    belgium

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    nope

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    as much as possible

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    as digital sketchbook: photoshop, painter, artrage, opencanvas, and basic 3dmax (no high poly stuff)
    and to send and receive files to/from other comps (wifi)
    that's it really, no office related stuff.. so typing is not really a main activity, and light weight is a definite plus (along with battery life)

8. Do you have an OS preference? i guess i'll have to go with some windows variant, don't care which version (although i hear nasty stuff about vista in relation to wacom/photoshopCS3.. )

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    photoshop

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    widescreen is nice, but not a must

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    any

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    definetely indoor+outdoor

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    active

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    wacom only

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    hd: whatever the standard is these days
    mem: lots, shooting for 4gig

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    maybe.. do i?

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    i'd like to be able to go drawing outside for a whole day, so i guess that's a yes

Misc
    -i've read notes about screens shifting color at the corners etc.. don't want that.. wider viewing angle=better too (i'm often drawing for clients who need to see what i'm doing, while i'm doing it.. sounds kinky no?)

-any europeans here familiar with getting hardware from the usa? i'm looking for info on customs/import taxes etc

thanks!

http://www.hyver.com

2. hyver

hyver Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm about to order the toshiba m700.. any reason why i shouldn't?

3. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this too... TabletKiosk vs. M700 vs. T4220 vs. Scribbler.... or is there something else?

I'm still holding out for a ModBook, but as each day passes it gets harder and harder to wait... I'm considering other options...

4. hyver

hyver Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i went ahead and ordered the m700.. will write my findings here once i have it in use

5. hyver

hyver Pen Pal - Newbie

so far i've been franticly happy with it
    i received it in the middle of a quite heavy crunchtime, and it was the perfect solution to execute a series of storyboard, way more quickly, and way more fun then the method i used to use (drawing on screen directly vs scanning pencil drawings and beefing them up with a wacom)

speaking of which, being used to the wacom intuos3 A4, there is some difference i feel in terms of pressure sensitivity, but it's a lot better than i had expected. certainly nothing a bit of brush settings tweaking won't solve.

the biggest adjustment i feel is the lack of a keyboard when in slate mode.. obviously this goes for all convertibles.. but my dear friend and esteemed fellow artist Texahol, who happened to be around when my puppy arrived, suggested using one of those small external numpads, to bind hotkeys to.
    he's so smart, it's mindblowing (tex if you read this, you owe me a beer ok? :) )

boiling it down to what i consider at this time the biggest negative point: battery life.. it's not the advertised 4,5hrs.. at least not when you use it intesively (most noticable when i was installing software and setting up windows etc.. meaning lots of hd and network activity, and rebooting.
    i suspect it lasts longer when doing mere surfing or typing. then again, time flies when you're zoned out in a drawing, and i haven't really timed the difference, if any.

i've so far deleted a bunch of crap that came with the toshiba install of vista (32bit), but i have yet to go through the thread(s) where other people give suggestions on how to make the most of your machine. i've also switched to classic gui settings.. i like the frosted transparency of the vista look, but if i have to choose between performance and a shiny window...

i'm also preparing it to use as a dj setup, with a hercules mk2 console. so far outstanding performance, but no real hardcore heavy duty tests done. big plus is that the m700 has two powered usb ports, saving me another adaptor for the console.

i would've gone for the extra battery option i've read about, but ordering in belgium means no choice in addons, nor customisation options.
    i wonder if i could order this from the us, and if that woiuld actually work. anyone?

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.